[Vision2020] fishy?

Stephanie Kalasz skalasz at ci.moscow.id.us
Mon Sep 23 15:46:13 PDT 2013

State law requires that council candidates run for office non-partisan:

TITLE 50
MUNICIPAL CORPORATIONS
CHAPTER 4
MUNICIPAL ELECTIONS
50-406. Method of nomination -- Clerk to furnish printed forms. Candidates for elective city offices shall be nominated by declaration. The declaration shall contain the name and address of the person and the office and the term for which he is being nominated. There shall be no mention relating to party or principal of the nominee. The completed declaration of candidacy shall be accompanied by: (1) a petition of candidacy signed by not less than five (5) registered qualified electors; or (2) a nonrefundable filing fee of forty dollars ($40.00) which shall be deposited in the city treasury.
It shall be the duty of the city clerk to furnish upon application a reasonable number of regular printed forms, as herein set forth, to any person or persons applying therefor. The forms shall be of uniform size as determined by the clerk.

However, that does not mean that the candidate cannot be affiliated with a political party (I know of both Republican and Democrat council members who have served) and there is nothing that I am aware of to prevent candidates from getting support from people who may share similar views and are in the same political party.

Stephanie Kalasz, CMC
City Clerk
City of Moscow
206 E. 3rd Street