[Vision2020] Death of an adjunct

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Wed Sep 18 15:11:51 PDT 2013

Death of an adjunct

September 18, 2013 12:06 am

By Daniel Kovalik

On Sept. 1, Margaret Mary Vojtko, an adjunct professor who had taught
French at Duquesne University for 25 years, passed away at the age of
83. She died as the result of a massive heart attack she suffered two
weeks before. As it turned out, I may have been the last person she
talked to.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/opinion/perspectives/death-of-an-adjunct-703773/

On Aug. 16, I received a call from a very upset Margaret Mary. She told
me that she was under an incredible amount of stress. She was receiving
radiation therapy for the cancer that had just returned to her, she was
living nearly homeless because she could not afford the upkeep on her
home, which was literally falling in on itself, and now, she explained,
she had received another indignity -- a letter from Adult Protective
Services telling her that someone had referred her case to them saying
that she needed assistance in taking care of herself. The letter said
that if she did not meet with the caseworker the following Monday, her
case would be turned over to Orphans' Court.

The rest of the story is at the link above.

Ken