[Vision2020] On behalf of sanity . . .

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Tue Sep 17 16:33:18 PDT 2013

On 9/17/2013 8:31 AM, Paul Rumelhart wrote:
> I never found registering a car that difficult.  Anyway, yes.  If it
> wasn't for our forefathers, we'd be speaking English right now.

After wondering how this might be true, I came to the conclusion that if
our forefathers had not invented letter writing, postal services,
telegraphs, Morse code, teletypes, telephones, radios, televisions,
computers, software, networks, and the Internet with service providers
and mailing lists, not to mention a plethora of wireless devices, we
would have to be face-to-face speaking with one another.

The serious inconvenience of that might allow more work to get done.

That's right -- those darn forefathers -- inhibiting manual work-day
productivity with more creative uses for all of this technology.

And what's more -- if they hadn't been so quick to deliver the news way
back then, they would have had time to translate it into German and
French and maybe even Spanish, if enough polyglots wanted to make the
effort to speak all that news in other peoples' mother tongues.

So, you're right, we could be speaking more English, and other
languages, too, if it wasn't for our forefathers.

Ken