[Vision2020] PR - Human Rights Day at the Market

Stephanie Kalasz skalasz at ci.moscow.id.us
Tue Sep 3 16:59:34 PDT 2013

City of Moscow
206 E Third Street
Moscow, ID 83843
Contact: Gary J. Riedner, City Supervisor
p     |  208.883.7006
e     |   griedner at ci.moscow.id.us<mailto:griedner at ci.moscow.id.us>
w    |  www.ci.moscow.id.us<http://www.ci.moscow.id.us>

PRESS RELEASE
Human Rights Day at the Market

September 3, 2013 (Moscow, Idaho) - The City of Moscow Human Rights Commission in partnership with the Latah County Human Rights Task Force will host an information booth at the Moscow Farmers Market on Saturday, September 7 for their annual Human Rights Day at the Market.  This year's topic will be Women and Work: Supporting Progress toward Equality.

Human Rights Day at the Market is a special event held annually with a different human rights theme each year. This year's event is sponsored by the Latah County Human Rights Task Force, the City of Moscow Human Rights Commission, the UI Women's Center & LGBTQA Offices, and Alternatives to Violence of the Palouse.

The Human Rights Day tent will be on the fountain side of Main St. near the City of Moscow tent. Activities at the table will include displays, brochures, and coloring and puzzles for children. New this year is a gallery of pictures and information about Moscow women representing different areas of work. People of all ages are invited and encouraged to stop at the table and take part in the community dialogue.

The annual Human Rights Day at the Moscow Farmers Market was instituted in Moscow in 1990 as a response to Neo-Nazi activities in Northern Idaho, including the Aryan Nations Church March in downtown Coeur d'Alene. "Rather than going north to protest, our members decided to sponsor a positive proactive program right here in our town center to show that Idaho is too great for hate," says Latah County Human Rights Task Force chair, Joann Muneta. "This has now become an important Moscow and Palouse Area tradition bringing people together to celebrate various themes of inclusion and community harmony."

For more information about the City of Moscow Human Rights Task Force, please contact the group through email at hrc at ci.moscow.id.us<mailto:hrc at ci.moscow.id.us> or by contacting Karen Potter, Moscow Police Department Administrative Assistant at 208.883.7115.

###

Story Contact: Jen Pfiffner, Assistant to the City Supervisor
Phone: 208.883.7123
Email: jpfiffner at ci.moscow.id.us<mailto:jpfiffner at ci.moscow.id.us>

The City of Moscow delivers quality municipal services while ensuring responsible use of resources.
We anticipate and meet the needs of our diverse population in order to build public trust and enhance a sense of community.