[Vision2020] False ACLU claim/forwarded photos

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl1.fastmail.fm
Thu Oct 31 11:30:30 PDT 2013

Thanks, Sunil, for following up on this.  I knew the anti-ACLU claims made
in the viral email were false and intended to respond . . . but then I
forgot.  I'm grateful you didn't because the ACLU's work protecting
religious freedom is something near and dear to my heart.

I completely support the ACLU's work regarding religious freedom.  In a
previous lifetime (circa 1998), as a State employee, our regional program
manager required mandatory participation in Christian prayers (of the "in
Jesus Christ's name, amen" variety) during staff meetings.  As a Christian,
I found the practice outrageous and a violation of my First Amendment rights
as well as my rights under the Idaho Constitution, but what really got me
hot under the collar was the fact that I had a couple of Jewish co-workers
as well as some who were agnostics and atheists.

Unlike my co-worker pals who were afraid of losing their jobs if they
complained, and not being afraid to speak truth to power <g>, I tried
talking with my department manager, and with the manager's manager, to no
avail ("there's no harm in it - non-Christians can just be quiet and bow
their heads anyway").  When reason failed, I contacted the Idaho chapter of
the ACLU.

Fortunately, the head of Idaho's Department of Health & Welfare had a better
grasp of constitutional protections than did either of the managers I spoke
with, remedial education was provided to H&W managers around the state (or
maybe just in this region - I don't recall - but I think it was state-wide
because there had been another incident in H&W almost a year before that was
then before the IPC), and the practice ended, at least in my program.

Had it not been for the ACLU's staunch advocacy of religious freedom,
there's not a doubt in my mind that unconstitutional practice would have
continued & likely have spread until someone decided to sue to get the
practice stopped, which would have cost the State of Idaho a lot of money
for trampling on both the State & US Constitutions.

So, thanks Sunil, for getting the correct info out here  J

Saundra

Moscow, ID

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

~ Aesop (The Lion and the Mouse)