[Vision2020] Lesbian couple from Macklemore show attends Ephrata High dance

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Oct 27 07:18:19 PDT 2013

Courtesy of today's (October 27,  2013) Spokesman-Review.

---------------------------------

Lesbian couple from Macklemore show attends Ephrata High dance
As the final notes of Macklemore and Ryan Lewis’ “Same Love” died in the Spokane Arena on Wednesday night, a high school senior pulled her girlfriend onto the stage.

“I knew I liked girls since I was the age of 4, but you were the first girl I ever fell in love with,” Ephrata High School senior McKyna Jacobson told Chelsie Price before asking her to Saturday’s homecoming dance. The two were the first openly gay couple ever to attend the dance.

The crowd erupted into cheers as the couple embraced.

“I started crying onstage,” said Price, a freshman at Eastern Washington University. “It was really heartwarming.”

Jacobson tried to contact Macklemore about a month before the concert to set the moment up, but gave up when she didn’t hear anything. But on a whim, Jacobson’s mother, Dorothy Harris, contacted Macklemore’s media representative the day of the concert.

“McKyna and her dad and I were on the way over to the concert, and one of the producers called us and said, ‘Hey, we want to make this happen,’ ” Harris said. “It literally happened that day.”

Jacobson kept the call a secret from Price, presenting her with a pair of backstage passes. Price thought the two were just going to hang out there and listen to a few songs. Then Macklemore called them onstage after performing “Same Love,” his platinum-selling song about marriage equality.

“It was really amazing and humbling,” Jacobson said. “When we walked out on the stage, it was instant support.”

The moment “was really genuine,” Harris said.

“They’ll remember this for the rest of their lives,” Harris said. “It was a really great affirming moment.”

The two have been dating for 10 months. They met when they were playing on opposing high school basketball teams. Price is a graduate of Prosser High School.

Their relationship started in secret, Price said. The two dated for six months without telling anyone, then Price moved in with Jacobson and her family last summer before she started college.

“We’ve come a long way,” Price said.

Saturday was a whirlwind for the couple: They got their hair and nails done, then snapped a few quick photos before the ride with six of their friends in a limo to Leavenworth for dinner before the dance at Ephrata.

But it’s not the glamorous details Jacobson said she’ll remember about the night. It’s the step toward equality the couple is taking, she said.

“I want to remember making that statement and helping other kids realize it’s OK,” Jacobson said.

--------------------

Video of song and Homecoming invite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duHfuyq-P74

--------------------

Ephrata High School senior McKyna Jacobson, left, asked her girlfriend, Chelsie Price, to the school’s homecoming dance onstage at the Macklemore and Ryan Lewis concert in Spokane on Wednesday.

---------------------------------

"Same Love" by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis
http://www.tomandrodna.com/Songs/Same_Love.mp3

"When I was in the 3rd grade
I thought that I was gay
Cause I could draw, my uncle was
And I kept my room straight
I told my mom, tears rushing down my face
She's like, "Ben you've loved girls since before pre-K"
Trippin', yeah, I guess she had a point, didn't she
A bunch of stereotypes all in my head
I remember doing the math like
"Yeah, I'm good in little league"

A pre-conceived idea of what it all meant
For those who like the same sex had the characteristics
The right-wing conservatives think it's a decision
And you can be cured with some treatment and religion
Man-made, rewiring of a pre-disposition
Playing God
Ahh nah, here we go
America the brave
Still fears what we don't know
And God loves all His children
And somehow forgotten
But we paraphrase a book written
3,500 hundred years ago
I don't know

And I can't change
Even if I tried
Even if I wanted to
And I can't change
Even if I tried
Even if I wanted to
My love, my love, my love

If I was gay
I would think hip-hop hates me
Have you read the YouTube comments lately
"Man that's gay"
Gets dropped on the daily
We've become so numb to what we're sayin'
Our culture founded from oppression
Yeah, we don't have acceptance for 'em
Call each other faggots
Behind the keys of a message board
A word rooted in hate
Yet our genre still ignores it
Gay is anonymous with the lesser
It's the same hate that's caused wars from religion
Gender to skin color
Complexion of your pigment
The same fight that lead people to walk-outs and sit-ins
Human rights for everybody
There is no difference
Live on! And be yourself!
When I was in church
They taught me something else
If you preach hate at the service
Those words aren't anointed
And that Holy Water
That you soak in
Has been poisoned
When everyone else
Is more comfortable
Remaining voiceless
Rather than fighting for humans
That have had their rights stolen
I might not be the same
But that's not important
No freedom 'til we're equal
Damn right I support it

I don't know

We press play
Don't press pause
Progress, march on!
With a veil over our eyes
We turn our back on the cause
'Till the day
That my uncles can be united by law
Kids are walkin' around the hallway
Plagued by pain in their heart
A world so hateful
Someone would rather die
Than be who they are
And a certificate on paper
Isn't gonna solve it all
But it's a damn good place to start
No law's gonna change us
We have to change us
Whatever god you believe in
We come from the same one
Strip away the fear
Underneath it's all the same love
About time that we raised up

Love is patient, love is kind
Love is patient (not cryin' on Sundays)
Love is kind (not cryin' on Sundays)"

http://www.MoscowCares.com

"There's room at the top they are telling you still
But first you must learn how to smile as you kill

- John Lennon