[Vision2020] PR - Blue Cross of Idaho Foundation Awards Grants

Stephanie Kalasz skalasz at ci.moscow.id.us
Wed Oct 9 15:11:49 PDT 2013

City of Moscow
206 E Third Street
Moscow, ID 83843
Contact: Gary J. Riedner, City Supervisor
p     |  208.883.7006
e     |   griedner at ci.moscow.id.us<mailto:griedner at ci.moscow.id.us>
w    |  www.ci.moscow.id.us<http://www.ci.moscow.id.us>

PRESS RELEASE
Blue Cross of Idaho Foundation, High Five of Idaho Grants Total $840,000 for Programs That Drive Sustainable Change and Create Healthy Environments for Idaho Youth

October 9, 2013 (Moscow, Idaho) - The High Five Children's Health Collaborative, powered by the Blue Cross of Idaho Foundation for Health recently awarded $750,000 to four Idaho cities to combat childhood obesity.  The collaborative also awarded an additional $90,000 to three cities as part of an Ambassador Program, including the City of Moscow, Idaho.

Grant recipients include Nampa ($300,000), Kuna ($150,000), Middleton ($150,000) and Lapwai ($150,000). High Five of Idaho will distribute funds over a three-year period to help fund resources and programs that drive sustainable change for healthier environments. The selection committee also recognized Moscow, Pocatello and Meridian for efforts to fight childhood obesity with two-year $30,000 grants as part of the Ambassador Program.  Details on the ambassador program will be forthcoming over the next several weeks.

Each city created a video outlining health needs and ideas for reversing childhood obesity in their community, and encouraged residents to vote for the proposal on the Collaborative's Facebook page.

The four winning communities will collaborate with the High Five team to develop and implement programs and policies proven to encourage better overall health, including the following:

1.            Increased physical activity
2.            Improved access to healthy and affordable foods
3.            Healthier schools and childcare facilities
4.            Parent education to help make healthier choices
5.            Public policies that fight the cause of obesity

"We want to thank all the residents of each city for their engagement and support of your community," said Kendra Witt-Doyle, Blue Cross of Idaho Foundation for Health Manager.  "Cities and towns across our state have a great role to play in combatting childhood obesity.  Each finalist expressed a sincere passion for the children in their community and a desire to create environments for healthier lifestyles. We are ready to work with our winning cities to make positive changes in Idaho."

The High Five Children's Health Collaborative has gained momentum since its launch, and has joined forces with associations, business, and communities to make childhood obesity a top health priority in Idaho and reverse its effects.
###
Story Contact: Jen Pfiffner, Assistant to the City Supervisor
Phone: 208.883.7123
Email: jpfiffner at ci.moscow.id.us<mailto:jpfiffner at ci.moscow.id.us>

The City of Moscow delivers quality municipal services while ensuring responsible use of resources.
We anticipate and meet the needs of our diverse population in order to build public trust and enhance a sense of community.

About the Blue Cross of Idaho Foundation for Health:
The Blue Cross of Idaho Foundation for Health, Inc., is a nonprofit charitable foundation established in 2001 by Blue Cross of Idaho. The creation of the Foundation stemmed from our desire to improve the health of all Idahoans through wellness and prevention programs.
To promote a healthier Idaho, the Foundation engages in collaborative partnerships, health programs and community giving. We are committed to addressing Idaho's health needs. A 501(c)(3) organization that serves Idaho, the Blue Cross of Idaho Foundation for Health is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association.

About High Five Children's Health Collaborative:
The High Five Children's Health Collaborative is a state-wide effort to fight childhood obesity in five ways: increase physical activity, improve access to healthy and affordable foods, healthier schools and childcare facilities, educate parents to make healthier choices and promote public policies the fight the cause of obesity.  High Five Idaho is working with a collaborative of partners and grant-winning cities to promote healthy communities around the state.  In addition, healthful tips and information are available through the Daily Do-daily tips on how to stay healthy-as well as on the High Five Idaho website highfiveidaho.org.