[Vision2020] The Good Lord Just Done Gave Us a Whupping' (really?)

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Fri May 31 13:42:42 PDT 2013

On 5/31/2013 12:34 PM, Scott Dredge wrote:
> Tom posts a graphic that reads 'You are the result of 3.8 billion
> years of evolutionary success.  Act like it.'

As a parental prescript, the line above does have an expected imperative
urgency, but it assumes too much.

> Seems to me that everyone is acting as *exactly* how they should be.
> Evolution / Creation / Something in between.  What difference does it
> make?

Within a stable ecosystem with checks and balances to its growth,
sustenance, and long term stability, the system takes care of itself
without conscious thought from the system as a whole about itself.
However, conscious thought and action are necessary when some elements
of the system have characteristics and abilities that could result in
systemic instability and perhaps failure.

> Dr. Gier at the start of this thread posted 'The problem of evil and
> the very unsatisfactory answer from the Abrahamic religions is one of
> the primary reasons why good, rational people become atheists.'
>
> Religious types are free to be become non-religious. Non-religious
> types are free to become religious.  To sum it up, everyone is free
> agent when it comes to their own spirituality or lack thereof.

Not everyone.  Some individuals within some cultures and societies may
have the ability to choose and to change, but many people, for a variety
of reasons, don't have those choices available to them. More people
might have those choices available were they able to feel sufficiently
free and safe to consider and to choose.

> Evolution hasn't reached the stage of mind control over others yet.

Evolution has neither purpose nor plan, so it is not working toward mind
control.  On the other hand, some individuals, and the organizations to
which they belong, do attempt, often successfully, to exert power and
control over the minds, movements, and monies of others.

> When and if that happens, we'll all become part of the Borg and won't
> even be able to tell heaven from hell.

For some individuals, the if is a reality, the when is now, and the
abilities of no small number of individuals to distinguish between
fantasy and reality have been compromised.

"Do you know why you are here, Neo?"

Ken