[Vision2020] Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow . . .

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed May 15 04:23:31 PDT 2013

Courtesy of the Letters section of today's (May 15, 2013) Lewiston Tribune and Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

-------------------------------------
Fixing the Roof
I have lived in Moscow for almost 20 years, and there are stronger reasons to vote for the upcoming school district facilities bond than I have seen in any other funding election since I moved here.
If your roof is worn out and you don't repair it, you're going to have more damage than to just your roof. And more than the roofs need to be fixed because our state legislators have drastically reduced funding to school districts over the past few years. Primarily because of the legislature's actions, the Moscow School District now receives about $2.2 million less per year than it did in 2007.
Beyond the roofs, this bond will allow essential repairs and upgrades to windows, heating systems, plumbing and electrical wiring. This bond will even give us more bang for our bucks than normal: It comes when bond rates are unusually low, plus the city of Moscow will use Hamilton family funds to match, dollar for dollar, up to $1.5 million of the bond earmarked for upgrading the Joseph Street playing fields.
School district personnel have not been sitting on their thumbs. They have been doing as much upkeep as possible with limited funding and have reduced costs by reducing staffing and budgets. Even with passage, our school district taxation would still be less than it was five to 10 years ago.
The high hurdle for this bond, a 67 percent majority for passage, means twice as many voters must vote for, rather than against, so please vote.
Mac Cantrell
Moscow
--------------------
Crucial vote ahead
Thanks to all of you who do so much to support Moscow schools. They do a fantastic job of educating our youth and preparing them for the years ahead. As you know, public schools are a crucial component of our democracy. Not everyone can afford to send their children to a private school, and the success of our nation depends on educated citizens.
Idaho is the only state that does not provide state money for school facilities and requires a two-thirds vote to pass a facilities bond. So the big responsibility for providing school facilities lies at the local level.
Moscow School District paid off its last facilities bond a number of years ago. Now it is time for another bond that will provide critical renovations and updates.
Current and future students and community members will benefit from the many improvements that are planned.
Your supporting vote is crucial. It is not easy to pass a bond when two-thirds of the voters must vote yes in order to pass it. Please be sure to vote Tuesday.
Dawn Fazio
Chairwoman, Moscow School District Board of Trustees
Moscow
--------------------

Not a very Christian stance
The well-written His View column by Gabriel Rench (Daily News, May 10, "Vote no on bond: It's for all the kids") nicely summed up the state of our society today - me and mine first, all the rest of you can fend for yourself. In this example of this now widespread attitude, because this family chose to send their children to private school, they have no responsibility for the rest of society, and other parents can "pay the additional money out of their own pockets."
Well, many years ago, my mom and dad sent six kids to 12 years of private school and paid taxes for a good public school district because they recognized the importance of both choices and a well-educated populace. Rench's stance is just another example of the selfish, fractured, not my taxes, me first, on-and-on attitude.
There is little or no sense of society and little regard for others, although in day-to-day life most people pretend there is (as long as they are getting theirs). I'll make a wild assumption, as he mentions two Christian-based schools (and good schools they are) in Moscow, that he is a Christian and wants that education for his children. So did my parents. But, as opposed to the me and mine attitude of some of today's Christians, my parents fully understood Christ's teaching about helping others.
I hold hope that someday we can get back to that attitude, but I'm not holding much.
John P. McNamara
Pullman
--------------------

Put children first
Please vote yes for the Moscow School Bond on May 21. This is a win-win bond that stewards our tax dollars wisely by upgrading current school facilities we have already invested in and by leveraging a very generous private gift to provide additional recreational opportunities.
See photos and plans at:
http://www.supportmsdstudents.org.
Initial polls show this bond has very strong support from voters, but it needs a supermajority to pass. Every vote will truly count. They say you can judge a society best by noting how well it cares for its children. Let's be a community that truly puts children first.
Mary and Gordon Gresch
Moscow

Bond Election Information

Special Bond Election Information Packet
 Special Bond Election Information Newsletter

Seeya at the polls, Moscow, because . . .

http://www.MoscowCares.com

"There's room at the top they are telling you still
But first you must learn how to smile as you kill

- John Lennon