[Vision2020] PR - MURA Receives $115,317 For Brownfield Cleanup

Stephanie Kalasz skalasz at ci.moscow.id.us
Mon May 13 08:53:54 PDT 2013

Moscow Urban Renewal Agency
206 E Third Street
Moscow, ID 83843
Contact: Jeffrey B. Jones, AICP, Executive Director
p   |  208-883-7007
e   |  jjones at ci.moscow.id.us<mailto:jjones at ci.moscow.id.us>
w  |  http://www.moscowura.com

PRESS RELEASE
Title:  Moscow Urban Renewal Agency (Moscow, ID) receives $115,317 for cleanup of 6th and Jackson site

Release Date: 05/10/2013

(Seattle, WA-May 10, 2013) The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has selected the Moscow Urban Renewal Agency as the recipient of a $115,317 Brownfields cleanup grant which will be used to remove contamination on a property owned by the Agency at the southwest corner of Sixth Street and Jackson Street. Today's announcement is part of $62 million in EPA Brownfields funds awarded to 240 grant recipients across the nation to assess, clean up and redevelop contaminated properties.

"We've seen Brownfield projects kick start impressive community redevelopment and revitalization" said EPA regional administrator Dennis McLerran. "By leveraging Brownfields funding to clean-up and reuse contaminated properties, communities can protect the environment, boost local economies and prevent sprawl."

The Moscow Urban Renewal Agency acquired the .87 acre site in 2010. The site's past use as a bulk storage facility for agricultural chemicals has resulted in contamination from metals, pentachlorophenol, and pesticides. Plans for site redevelopment include mixed-use residential and commercial development and the design and construction of the "Hello" Walk extension. "We are very grateful to our partners at the EPA and for the continued support of our local leaders and citizens who 'make the wheels go around," said Jeff Jones, Executive Director for the Moscow Urban Renewal Agency.

There are an estimated 450,000 abandoned and contaminated sites in the United States. Under EPA's Brownfields program, more than 20,000 properties have been assessed, and more than 850 properties have been cleaned up. EPA's Brownfields investments have also leveraged more than $19 billion in overall cleanup and redevelopment funding from public and private sources. On average $17.79 is leveraged for every EPA Brownfields grant dollar spent. These investments resulted in approximately 87,000 jobs nationwide. When Brownfields are addressed, nearby property values can increase 2-3 percent.

###

More information on Brownfields grants by state: http://cfpub.epa.gov/bf_factsheets/

Additional Brownfields Program information: http://www.epa.gov/brownfields/

Success Stories http://www.epa.gov/brownfields/success/index.htm