[Vision2020] Saving Children From Guns

Nicholas Gier ngier006 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 14:49:12 PDT 2013

Hi Paul,

Do you consider a 10-month-old an infant?  Then here is your statistic:

*Reports: Father accidentally shoots, kills 10-month-old son in front of
family*

*By John Newland, Staff Writer, NBC News*

A 10-month-old boy was shot and killed by his father Thursday in an
apparent accident at a Nashville, Tenn., hotel, local media reported.

Two police detectives from the Hermitage Precinct were close to the hotel
when the call went out and made it to the scene within about three minutes
but were unable to resuscitate the child, NBC affiliate WSMV-TV
Channel 4<http://www.wsmv.com/story/21647213/10-month-old-baby-dies-after-being-shot>
 reported.

The child's mother Jacquelin Bass, 28, and the couple's other sons, aged 3
and 2, were in the room when the gun went off, the station said.

The baby was shot once in the chest as his father, Larry Bass, 30, handled
the semi-automatic handgun, the Nashville
Tennessean<http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130314/NEWS03/130314025/Shooting-hotel-kills-10-month-old-boy?nclick_check=1>
 reported.

NBCNews was unable to independently confirm the accounts early Friday.

Both news outlets reported that the family, from Texas, was at the Extended
Stay America hotel near Nashville International Airport when the incident
happened. Larry Bass was in town to work on construction of the Music City
Center, a 1.2-million-square foot convention center.

The newspaper said the family had checked in on Jan. 29.

Ten-month-old Adam Bass would have had turned 1 in May, the Tennessean
reported, quoting police spokesman Don Aaron as saying that the family was
"very, very distraught over what's happened" and that "the police
department does not believe this was an intentional act."

Attempts to reach the police department were unsuccessful early Friday.
WSMV said a police investigation was continuing.