[Vision2020] Id Legislature, working for you.

Ron Force rforce2003 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 19 20:24:26 PDT 2013

Girl Scout Cookies will be tax free. The rest of the news:
Courtesy of Eye on Boise, Spokesman-Review:
Testimony on Health Insurance Exchange Bill:
” Sen. Sheryl Nuxoll, R-Cottonwood, said she represented both her legislative district and “many Catholics around the state of Idaho” in speaking against the exchange bill, saying it would implement abortion by covering emergency contraceptives. Christine Tiddens of Catholic Charities of Idaho spoke in favor of the bill on behalf of both her group and the Roman Catholic Diocese of Idaho. “Idaho has already taken proactive measures to limit abortion coverage,” she said. “Our goal in advocating for this bill is to promote affordable, high-quality coverage for all families of Idaho.”
House backs TV anti-indecency measure
Posted by Betsy
March 19, 2013 10:58 a.m.  •  3 comments
The House has voted 57-13 in favor of HJM 2, a non-binding memorial calling on the Federal Communications Commission to crack down on indecency on television. Rep. Darrell Bolz, R-Caldwell, said an individual from Canyon County has been pushing for several years for the Legislature to pass a law on the matter, but he conferred with the Idaho Attorney General’s office and determined that a non-binding memorial would be more appropriate. “This is not making any new regulation whatsoever,” Bolz told the House. “All we are asking for is the FCC follow the standards that are already in force that they have at the current time.” He added, “We all realize that the moral standards of society have started to decay quite a bit. … I think it’s important that we take a stand and let people know where we stand in terms of the moral fabric of this country.”
The measure calls on the FCC to “resume enforcement of traditional American standards of decency and prohibit the implied portrayal of or discussion of sexual intercourse on television when it pertains to unmarried persons in fictitious programs, reality shows and advertisements, including jocular references to premarital sex, characters lying in bed together and characters disrobing or undressing.”
Rep. Grant Burgoyne, D-Boise, debated against the measure. “This is essentially calling for censorship,” he said. “I am opposed to censorship - I will be voting no.”
The 13 “no” votes included 11 Democrats and two Republicans, Reps. Luke Malek, R-Coeur d’Alene, and Eric Anderson, R-Priest Lake.
House State Affairs opens hearing on anti-marijuana resolution
Posted by Betsy
March 19, 2013 8:28 a.m.  •  15 comments
“Marijuana is the most commonly used illicit drug in the United States,” Sen. Chuck Winder, R-Boise, told the House State Affairs Committee this morning, pitching his SCR 112, a Senate-passed resolution declaring that it’s the position of the Idaho Legislature that the state should never legalize marijuana for any use. “I think what this resolution is trying to do is just to make a statement that Idaho recognizes the problems that marijuana is creating in other states,” Winder said. “This is just a statement, it doesn’t change the law. … It’s just a statement on behalf of the Legislature of Idaho.”
Rep. John Gannon, D-Boise, said he’d like to propose an amendment to add, “Except when prescribed by physicians specializing in cancer treatment for the treatment of patients with terminal cancer.” He asked, “Would that be something that would be acceptable to the sponsor?” Winder responded, “Under our joint rules, we’re not allowed to amend resolutions.” He said, “That’s something you could propose I think in the form of legislation, if you chose to.”
There are lots of people wanting to testify on both sides of the measure. Lindsey Rinehart of Compassionate Idaho was first up to speak; she said her group last week launched a medical marijuana initiative in Idaho. “What we are trying to do is legalize marijuana for seriously ill and terminally ill patients,” she said. “We need safe access for patients to obtain their cannabis legally, without becoming part of a black market society.” Rinehart, who suffers from multiple sclerosis, said, “It is appalling for people to tell me to leave the state I love to go get the medical care that I need.”
Elisha Figueroa, administrator of the Idaho Office of Drug Policy, told the committee, “It has no medical use and is addictive.” She said, “Marijuana use has also been directly linked to mental illness.”