[Vision2020] In cyberwarfare, rules of engagement still hard to define

Art Deco art.deco.studios at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 10:37:17 PDT 2013

Back to previous page
------------------------------
   In cyberwarfare, rules of engagement still hard to define By Ellen
Nakashima<http://www.washingtonpost.com/ellen-nakashima/2011/03/02/ABdt4sM_page.html>,
Published: March 10

When Gen. Keith
Alexander<http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/gen-keith-b-alexander/gIQA7gFTKP_topic.html>,
the head of the Pentagon’s Cyber Command, comes to the Hill on Tuesday, he
will probably be asked to describe his plans for building a military force
<http://tinyurl.com/bgbh6b3>to defend the nation against cyberattacks.

But one question remains unclear: Under what circumstances will these
cyberwarriors be used?

President Obama last fall signed a classified
directive<http://tinyurl.com/d2xa4tj>that requires an “imminent” or
ongoing threat of an attack that could
result in death or damage to national security before a military
cyber-action can be taken to thwart it.

But the definition of “imminent” is, like the definition of an “act of
war,”<http://tinyurl.com/9zz6sbj>subjective and dependent upon
circumstances.

A century ago, when one nation’s army massed at another’s border, imminence
was clearer. An attack seemed about to happen. Most acknowledged the
threatened nation had a right to defend itself.

But today, technology and terrorism have confused the application of old
rules. In cyberspace, where attacks can launch in milliseconds, a nation
might not have enough time to detect an attack and mount a defense.

In fact, the last clear “window of opportunity” to counter a threat may be
hours or days or months before it is launched. That broader concept of
imminence was advanced, to some lawmakers’ concern, in a recently leaked
Justice Department white paper outlining the rationale for lethal drone
strikes against certain al-Qaeda operational leaders.

Administration officials have struggled in recent months to determine when
Cyber Command, under new rules of engagement soon to be
issued<http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012-08-09/world/35491430_1_cyber-command-military-action-networks>,
should be empowered to neutralize an attack without presidential permission.

“We’ve run through dozens of scenarios, and each time you get to the point
where you say, ‘You mean you really couldn’t get to the president in time?’
” said one senior military official, who like other U.S. officials spoke on
the condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations. “Until
something happens, our best guess is it’s going to be an extremely narrow
circumscribed set of conditions that would really be imminent.”

As officials debate — largely in secret — how to apply traditional concepts
such as imminence to modern warfare, they say that in cyberspace, a clear
line is virtually impossible to draw between a justified strike in
self-defense and a preemptive one that is considered an unprovoked act of
aggression.

“Suppose that somebody’s sending a signal to freeze all our computer
networks,” an administration official said in a recent interview. “I think
most people would agree that we can neutralize that virus and we can do
that in self-defense.”

Under the concept of anticipatory self-defense, “you don’t have to wait
until they paralyze the server, because, once they do, the damage is done,”
the official said. “But then the issue is, if you’re running around the
world freezing servers of everybody you don’t like, it looks very
offensive,” he added. “That looks preemptive.”

In fact, said Michael Schmitt, chairman of the International Law Department
at the U.S. Naval War College, “the law of self-defense does not allow you
to strike at a state merely because they have the capability to attack you.”

Schmitt, who is part of an international group of experts who have issued a
handbook on cyberwarfare called the Tallinn
Manual<http://www.ccdcoe.org/249.html>,
agrees with the white paper’s broader view of imminence. In its legal
manual, the group concluded that a state may act in self-defense “when the
attacker is clearly committed to launching an armed attack and the
victim-State will lose its opportunity to effectively defend itself unless
it acts.”

Determining hostile intent is challenging. One senior defense official said
if the United States identified a cyber-tool in an adversary’s network that
could be used only for a potentially lethal purpose — such as disrupting an
entire operating system on a military command and control server, then he
believes that “disabling that tool is justified under international law.”

Moreover, he said, U.S. intelligence analysts have developed “a pretty good
idea what activities on a network would be a prelude to an attack.” Still,
he noted, “there’s always risk in getting it wrong, just like we got it
wrong with drone strikes sometimes.”

Senior administration officials stress that under the new Obama directive,
they would use law enforcement or diplomatic means before turning to
military cyberwarfare. The order does not alter the rules for intelligence
agencies’ covert use of cyber-operations.

Today, Cyber Command’s authority to conduct cyber-strikes outside its
networks is highly constrained <http://wapo.st/MW5bt6>, largely because of
uncertainties about the military’s ability to prevent unintended damage to
other countries’ civilian systems.

The military, for instance, does not have standing authority to conduct any
cyber action in self-defense outside its networks that could be construed
as a “use of force” — say, shutting down a server in another country —
without presidential permission.

Schmitt said he believes rules will change as the threat evolves. “A decade
from now, the concept of use of force and armed attack will change
dramatically,” he said. “I believe the bar will go down as to what is
wrongful use of force and as to when you can act in self-defense.”

Georgetown University law professor Catherine Lotrionte said that if states
start to take more aggressive measures at a lower threshold, the risk of
escalation and “tit for tat” goes up. “There needs to be international
agreement on rules to prevent that escalation,” she said, “or we’re looking
at a really ugly world.”

* *

--
Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)