[Vision2020] Moscow woman works out life on screen

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Mar 11 10:21:33 PDT 2013

Courtesy of today's (March 11, 2013) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with special thanks to Janesta.

-------------------------------------
Moscow woman works out life on screen
Pamela Granger Greek was still living in Moscow and struggling with the death of her husband, Richard Granger, from pancreatic cancer in 2011 when she received an offer she never expected - to work on an independent film that deals with the existence of hell.
"I was still kind of in a shell," she said, "and they had to go through three people to get approval, and I said that would never happen, I'm a nobody, I would never get in."
"Hell and Mr. Fudge" tells the true story of Edward Fudge, a pastor and later attorney, who struggled early in life with the idea of hell. He later sparked controversy in Athens, Ala., when he accepted a job researching scripture to settle the question back in the late '70s.
A registered nurse and accomplished seamstress who also has a background in interior design, Granger Greek hesitantly accepted a job working on set design, wardrobe and some minor acting.
"I have no interest in movies in that way, never wanted to be an actress," she said. "Through someone, through someone, through someone, the producer needed someone with a set of skills that were flexible."
Granger Greek said she decided to take on the project as a volunteer. Filming took place in the summer of 2011 in Athens, which was hot and humid, and typically required long days on set. Finding hospital equipment and nurses' dresses from the '70s was difficult, she added.
"It was a very good experience," said Granger Greek. "I had no trouble fitting in. I just did what they'd tell me. It was a huge highlight."
One of her best experiences working on the film was meeting and befriending the real Edward Fudge and his wife, who assisted the film crew in creating the biopic.
"When we met there on the set, somehow we just clicked, and they actually invited me at the end of the conversation to go to lunch with them," Granger Greek said.
Part of the outrage that sprang up during Fudge's time in Athens revolved around his conclusion that you didn't have to be a member of the Church of Christ to avoid eternal damnation. His outspoken ideas would later get him removed from preaching by his congregation.
"He had a real struggle," said Granger Greek of Fudge's story. "This is going against all he's been taught and raised with. This is just his desire for the real truth."
When Granger Greek joined Fudge for lunch, he took her all around Athens and pointed out places where events occurred during the time in which the story takes place.
"We came into this diner and Edward kind of froze. He froze and said, 'This place is full of ministers,' " she said.
There was an international conference of Church of Christ being held at the same time as the filming, and members were still protesting Fudge's claims.
"We sat down and, you know, in all that time not one of them came up to say hello to him," she said. "And Edward has been going everywhere to talk about the concept of hell."
Granger Greek said she remains in contact with Fudge. Her part in the movie's production didn't change her religious views, she said, but broadened them.
"It was concerning that this came from someone outside of the church that I'd grown up in," Granger Greek said. "A lawyer, someone who is a lawyer, and just through pure study of the scriptures.
"It was very real to me, and while my husband was dying of pancreatic cancer, it was a big question. When you're actually dying, you know you're going to die, it's very real."
"Hell and Mr. Fudge" received a platinum award at the Houston Film Festival last year. Granger Greek, who has remarried and is living in California, said she missed the premier because her husband is sick and will likewise miss Tuesday's showing at the Kenworthy. Showtime is 7 p.m.
Viewers can look for Granger Greek in a scene as a nurse when Fudge's father is dying, as well as playing the wife of the main character's friend, Joe Mark, while Fudge is speaking at Athens State University. In it, Fudge gets a number of supporters to stand up in agreement.
"Even though his friend believes in him, I keep sitting," said Granger Greek. "It's very, very minor with little acting skill."
To see a trailer for "Hell and Mr. Fudge," go to this shortened link: bit.ly/YQbODT.

Seeya round town, Moscow, because . . .

http://www.MoscowCares.com

"There's room at the top they are telling you still
But first you must learn how to smile as you kill

- John Lennon