[Vision2020] Lewiston Tribune: It's back to the shadows for the UI

Rosemary Huskey donaldrose at cpcinternet.com
Sun Mar 10 08:43:16 PDT 2013

Amen and amen.  I made three public records requests recently.  Actually, it
was only one but it was modified three times to try to meet the parameters
that would pare the cost down to a reasonable level.  I wanted to know the
names of the fraternities and sororities who had been charged with alcohol
violations. I was not interested in the names of the miscreants.  I just
wanted to look at the pattern of offenses and the UI or national chapter
headquarters response to them.  Well, that's not going to happen.  The
response to my first request was this:

"Your request meets at least one of the criteria discussed above, will have
costs associated with it, and we will require advance payment of the costs
as described above.

Below is the estimate provided by the Greek Advisor, whose hourly rate is
$29.95, of the amount of time and cost associated with gathering up all the
requested records:

Task

Hours

Notes

Viewing  4yrs of chapter emails individually to identify which are related
to discipline and/or investigation

13

4,521 emails (10s p/email)

Going through paper files in Director's filing cabinet

5

estimated 1,850 records (25 groups * 70 pages per group + other folders)(10s
p/page)

Going through paper files in Assistant Greek Advisor's filing cabinet

1.5

estimated 500 records (10s p/page)

Viewing potentially relevant electronic files on the Greek Advisor's hard
drive space from past 4 years

3.5

1,196 files (10s p/file)

Reading through electronic files from before the current Greek Advisor
started on previous Greek life hard drive

17

4,076 Files (15s p/file)

Going through relevant files in additional Greek filing cabinet in DOS

7

2,500 files (estimated 50 files that may contain relevant info, 50 sheets
per file)(10s p/page)

Going through DOS Archive in Library from 2005

5

unknown amount of files, estimating 2,000 potential files to sort through

TOTAL

52

SUBTOTAL COST (52 hrs x $29.95/hr)

$1,557.40

SUBTOTAL:                                         $1,557.40

Minus First 2 hours free                $59.90

TOTAL                                                   $1,497.50

The university will not expend the time and resources necessary to locate
and acquire the requested records at the risk of taxpayer funds;
consequently, you will be required to deliver advance payment in certified
funds in the amount of $1,497.50 prior to the University commencing the
process necessary to locate and acquire those records. If the estimated
funds are insufficient to complete location and acquisition of the full
scope of requested records, you will be informed of our estimate for funds
necessary to complete the process and we will await advance payment of that
sum prior to proceeding further. )"

I amended my request, which was, arguably, far to global in nature (not
really) according to the Greek advisor (a worthless position funded by the
citizens of Idaho NOT members of the Greek community who would be the only
people in Idaho interested in his services)  I asked that the Student
Conduct Board records, minus any identifying personal information (except
for campus living arrangements), with offenses related to alcohol offenses
be made available.  I needed only a simple table covering seven years.
After 10 days (and a nudge) UI attorney Costa responded with this financial
estimate

"The Coordinator for Student Conduct and Community Standards estimates that
it will take 20 hours at an hourly rate of $25.74 to review the records and
identify responsive records, and an additional 2 hours at the same rate to
redact personally identifiable information from such records.

20 hours x $25.74 = $514.80

2 hours x $25.74 = $51.48

Minus first two hours free ($51.48)

Total Estimated Cost $514.80"

My third request led Mr. Costa to send me an internet link (which didn't
work) to a campus document that I had previously told Mr. Costa  I had
already seen and didn't  answer my questions.

I  gave up at that point.  Just as a side note - Mr. Costa is a Notre Dame
law school graduate who apparently missed the class in law school that dealt
with professional communication.  I was quite surprised when he responded to
my emails addressing me by my first name i.e., "Dear Rosemary."  We
certainly are not on a first name basis, but perhaps he felt that taking
that initiative gave him a privileged advantage in our communications.  It
didn't.   his responses were obstructive, rude in tone, and patronizing.
What a load of hooey.

In sharp contrast, it took one short note to Moscow Police Chief and
literally an overnight response to learn at least a part of what I wanted to
know.  He didn't have access to particular houses involved in alcohol
offenses but at least he had the numbers and knew how to write a
professional response - and the internet link he included worked!

"Since we contract law enforcement services with the University of Idaho we
track mandatory Clery reportable offenses.  Alcohol violations are listed on
the annual reports and those at fraternities/sororities are listed in the
"NON- CAMPUS NC" section. Below is the link to our records. Click which year
you would like to review on the left side of the window and the number of
alcohol violations for fraternities/sororities is listed for you.

 <http://www.ci.moscow.id.us/police/campus/Pages/ui-statistics.aspx>
http://www.ci.moscow.id.us/police/campus/Pages/ui-statistics.aspx

LIQUOR LAW VIOLATIONS (Except Driving Under the Influence and Drunkenness)
(Crimes Against Society)

Definition: The violation of laws or ordinances prohibiting the manufacture,
sale, purchase, transportation, possession, or use of alcoholic beverages.
This would include minors in possession, open container, serving alcohol
outside designated hours, providing alcohol to a minor, etc."

It is no wonder that the flagship institution is rapidly taking on water and
sinking into the cesspool they have created.  The captain is abandoning the
ship and storms of discontentment are swirling around.  It is hard to
imagine a happy future on the hill.

Rose Huskey