[Vision2020] Huh? Say WHAT!?

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 10:38:42 PST 2013

If to deny marriage to a man and woman is lacking in the slightest inkling
of human compassion why not a man and man? Why not three or more?

I can just slightly reword your criticisms and send them back your way.

That is the point. If there is a slippery-slope it goes in both directions:
all the way from man-woman to group and back again. If Wilson's argument
were sound, and polygamy so horrible, he should work toward abolishing ALL
marriage -- for man-woman marriage HAS led to gay marriage and (according
to Wilson) that will lead to polygamous unions.

But even Wilson knows enough to ignore such a stupid argument! To defeat
the original argument, all I need to do is show that it has absurd
consequences; consequences so absurd that even the person giving the
argument would reject them. This is a form of reductio ad absurdum.