[Vision2020] Caturday (March 2, 2013)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Mar 2 05:14:12 PST 2013

Courtesy of the Maryland Gazette (Annapolis, Maryland) at:

http://tinyurl.com/byas8an

-------------------------------------
Severn librarians care for late custodian’s five cats
There was Peppy, the stunt devil; Tiggy, the boss; Tommy the scaredy cat; Bootsie, the hider and Aslan, the comeback kid.When Alvin Nersessian passed away from cancer in November, he left his five “children” behind.
All the cats needed a home. But none had anywhere to go.
To take care of their friend’s family, Nersessian’s co-workers at the county library Provinces Branch in Severn took action. It’s the same thing he did six years earlier when he adopted the cats after his girlfriend’s death.
“It’s a promise he had kept to his girlfriend,” Manager Cathy Hollerbach said. “We wanted to do the same.”
Since last fall, the cats have been either fostered or adopted by various library personnel.
Nersessian’s co-workers teamed up with of the Walter Rescue Inc., a Baltimore-based animal rescue organization, to help get the cats healthy again.
Pat Ferguson, library technical services manager, worked with Nersessian for 5½ years at the library. After learning of his death, she decided to adopt one of his cats.
“Al loved his cats, they were his life,” she said. “In a moment of weakness, I adopted Peppy. It was a decision that has brought joy to my life.”
Nersessian, a Pasadena resident, worked as a custodian at the branch for nearly 20 years. He had no children of his own and considered the library his family.
“He was a true caretaker. He really looked after this place,” Hollerbach said. “To him, we were his ‘girls.’ ”
To this family, Nersessian was known an avid gardener, and master historian. Every spring he would spruce up the library garden, often planting flowers he brought from home.
He also kept his age a secret.
“Let’s just say he was an older gentleman, he refused to give his age.” Hollerbach said. “When I visited him in the hospital, he wouldn’t let me see his medical bracelet for fear I would figure it out.”
Hollerbach said the news of Nersessian’s death came suddenly. Nine days after being diagnosed with colon cancer, he died on the Friday after Thanksgiving. Even before he got sick he asked Hollerbach to take care of his estate if anything happened to him. There wasn’t much. Taking control meant figuring out what to do with his five cats.
“He asked me to do it, since he had no other family. I was honored to help out,” she said.
After talking it over, the staff at Provinces decided to reach out to the wider library system in search of people interested in fostering or adopting the cats.
Megan McCloud, who works at the North County Area Branch in Glen Burnie as a circulation assistant, didn’t know Nersessian. But she saw a message on the library email system about the cats.
She decided to foster Aslan and has had him since November. He needed a lot of medical attention.
He had several infected teeth that had to be removal, matted fur from being unable to groom, and a growth in his throat.
“He’s a sweet cat, purrs a lot and loves to rub up against people,” she said. “When he wants attention, he lets you know.”
April Tull, who works at the Edgewater Branch, took in Tiggy — also called Tiger — and Tommy. She didn’t know Nersessian either, but she wanted to help.
“They are a great pair and have adapted well,” she said. “It took some time for them to adjust to their new surroundings.”
When Nersessian died, his co-workers held his memorial at Provinces, a first for the branch and for Hollerbach.
“I’ve worked in the library system a long time, this was new to me,” she said. “For Al, it was the perfect place to celebrate his life, it was where he found his home.”
Nersessian will be buried at Glen Haven Memorial Park in Glen Burnie.
Aslan and librarian Megan McCloud --  “He’s a sweet cat, purrs a lot and loves to rub up against people. When he wants attention, he lets you know.”

Al Nersessian was the custodian of The Provinces library branch in Severn for 17 years. When he passed away last November, his coworkers took responsibility for his cats.

Seeya round town, Moscow, because . . .

http://www.MoscowCares.com

"There's room at the top they are telling you still
But first you must learn how to smile as you kill

- John Lennon