[Vision2020] 100-year-old finishes elementary school

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Jun 30 13:22:23 PDT 2013

Courtesy of KMBC-TV (Kansas City, Missouri) at:

http://m.kmbc.com/news/100yearold-finishes-elementary-schooll/-/15945382/20756500/-/14ndnipz/-/index.html

--------------------------------------
100-year-old finishes elementary school
A grandmother in Mexico finally finished elementary school at age 100.

Born in the southern state of Oaxaca in 1913, Manuela Hernandez had to leave elementary school after just one year to help her family at home.

"My uncle Fernando Campos helped me get into school, but the following year, when I was able to wash and iron, they never let me go to school because they needed me to work," she told Uno TV in Spanish.

At a grandchild's request, Hernandez resumed her education last year at age 99.

She received her elementary school diploma last weekend.

"The big problem is my eyesight is not as good as it used to be, and there are times where I need glasses to read," Hernandez told Uno TV. "Every time I learn something I tell myself, 'Now they can't call me dumb.'"

Hernandez told the Mexican TV station she plans to start high school next year.

Manuela Hernandez

http://www.MoscowCares.com

"There's room at the top they are telling you still
But first you must learn how to smile as you kill

- John Lennon