[Vision2020] Steed to seek re-election to City Council

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Jun 29 05:10:27 PDT 2013

And just when you thought it was safe enough to go out and play . . .

Courtesy of today's (June 29, 2013) Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

--------------------------------------
Steed to seek re-election to City Council
Moscow City Councilor Walter Steed said he will run for reelection this November while two other incumbents will bow out at the end of their terms.
Steed said he usually decides closer to the filing deadline whether to run again, but decided to come out earlier this year as the question wasn't going away.
"I have had so many people asking me if I was going to run again," he said, "and I thought I'd stop the questions and answer it."
Steed is finishing up his sixth year on the council under a four-year term, and said he isn't looking at setting any new goals, but instead focusing on unfinished projects.
"I wanted us to work toward completing the ones that are already on the list," he said. "Those are a burden on the staff because they are tasked by the council to come up with funding and designs to get those done."
Councilor Tim Brown said he still plans on not running and will move permanently to Spokane to be with his wife, who has lived there 18 years.
"I am for sure not running," he said.
Sue Scott said after 10 years on the city's planning and zoning commission and then four years on the council, she is taking a break to do some traveling and take care of her father in California.
"If you're going to throw your hat in the ring, you have to show up," she said, adding she could run again someday.
Moscow Planning and Zoning Commission Chairman Art Bettge and former city councilor John Weber have stated their intent to run for council this year.
Weber ran for mayor and lost in 2009 against Nancy Chaney, who said Friday she still hasn't decided whether she will run for reelection this year.
"I love my job and I may run," she said. "I'm having a parallel conversation with another individual about that now. There's a July 1 deadline for a decision on this."
Councilor Tom Lamar confirmed Friday he is interested in taking a stab at running for mayor should Chaney not seek reelection.
"I still have to figure out if that's what I want to do," he said. "My term isn't up yet. Potentially, it would make sense to run for mayor, because I have lots of people ask me if I would do it if Nancy didn't want to do it."
Lamar commended Chaney on her service and professionalism in her role as mayor.
"I know the job of being mayor is a lot of work," he said. "We've got a great city staff, and that helps a lot. ... I am intrigued by the idea."

http://www.MoscowCares.com

"There's room at the top they are telling you still
But first you must learn how to smile as you kill

- John Lennon