[Vision2020] Huckleberries: Rasor’s ideas on tutus mystify Moscow man

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Jun 23 07:27:13 PDT 2013

Courtesy of today's (June 23, 2013) Spokesman-Review.

--------------------------------------
Huckleberries: Rasor’s ideas on tutus mystify Moscow man
Henry Johnston, a Sandpoint High grad, wonders where former Bonner County commissioner Cornel Rasor got the idea that gay men wear tutus to work.

Rasor, as you may recall, is part of the Idaho GOP push to ask the 2014 Legislature to void nondiscrimination laws that add gays to human rights protections. Six Idaho cities, including Sandpoint and Coeur d’Alene, have approved the ordinances.

Out and living with his partner, Alex, in Moscow, Johnston had this to say about Rasor’s remark that he should have the right to fire a gay man who appeared for work in a tutu: “Where does Rasor get the idea that gays wear tutus? Media? The Internet? Watching a gay pride parade? I’m out and proud and won’t deny who I am to anyone. But you won’t find me in pink briefs walking down Main Street Moscow waving a rainbow flag. I think that’s kind of counterproductive to our cause of proving we’re ‘normal’ just like everyone else.”

Rasor, meanwhile, has become an Internet meme known as “Idaho’s Tutu Man” (look it up). Not that there’s anything wrong with wearing tutus.

--------------------------------------

Courtesy of the UPI at:

http://tinyurl.com/jw9dx7g

--------------------
Idaho Republican fears 'a gay guy' might 'come to work in a tutu'

Idaho Republican Party leaders are calling on the state legislature to invalidate local and city ordinances that ban discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.

Cornel Rasor, a former Bonner County commissioner and chairman of the Idaho GOP’s resolutions committee, believes the anti-discrimination laws force employers to put up with workplace shenanigans on the part LGBT individuals.

"I’d hire a gay guy if I thought he was a good worker. But if he comes into work in a tutu he’s not producing what I want in my office.
"If a guy has a particular predilection and keeps it to himself, that’s fine, but if he wants to use my business as a platform for his lifestyle, why should I have to subsidize that? And that’s what these anti-discrimination laws do."

Idaho has no statewide law banning such discrimination, and Idahoans can currently legally be fired from their jobs, evicted from their homes or denied service in private businesses based on their sexual orientation or gender identity.

Six Idaho cities have passed non-discrimination ordinances in the past year and a half, and a seventh, Idaho Falls, is looking into one now.

The party central committee’s resolution isn’t binding on the 81 percent Republican legislature, but "sends a message" that GOP leaders want to put a halt to local anti-discrimination ordinances.

"All I see is more and more laws making things more and more difficult, more and more restrictive, more and more controlled, and I’m a liberty person," Rasor said. "I like to be left alone. I like to make my own decision."

Cornel "Idaho's Tutu Man" Rasor

http://www.MoscowCares.com

"There's room at the top they are telling you still
But first you must learn how to smile as you kill

- John Lennon