[Vision2020] Intelligence for Dummies

Art Deco art.deco.studios at gmail.com
Sat Jun 8 06:46:58 PDT 2013

  [image: The New York Times] <http://www.nytimes.com/>

------------------------------
June 7, 2013
Intelligence for Dummies By GAIL
COLLINS<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/opinion/editorialsandoped/oped/columnists/gailcollins/index.html>

Question for the day: Do you feel more secure or less secure, now that you
know the government is keeping a gargantuan pile of information about
everybody’s telephone calls in the name of national security?

You have heard, I’m sure, that the National Security Agency has been mining
Verizon’s records for information, such as numbers called and the location
where the call was made. This is known as “telephony metadata,” and the
very fact that we now have a term like “telephony metadata” is perhaps
reason enough to be against the entire concept.

“Nobody is listening to your telephone calls,” President Obama assured the
American people on Friday. Well, probably nobody. And, if they are, it’s
under an entirely different part of the program.

We’ve had a passel of these stories this week. (It also appears that the
N.S.A. is sucking personal e-mails and other data from the servers of the
giant Internet companies.) Security issues are very tough to figure out.
One side is always saying, as Obama did on Friday, that whatever is going
on will “help us prevent terrorist attacks.”

The phrase “help us prevent terrorist attacks” is sort of a
conversation-stopper.

The other side is worried about privacy, but the public is resigned to the
idea that some Big Brother is monitoring their communications. After all,
we live in a world where you can e-mail your husband about buying new
kitchen curtains and then magically receive an online ad from a drapery
company.

Let’s start with the real basics. Does the N.S.A. really need all the stuff
it’s collecting? Ever since the attack on the World Trade Center, the
agency has been exploding. It has an enormous operation outside of
Washington, and it is building another million-square-foot complex in the
Utah desert. It collects an estimated 1.7 billion pieces of communication a
day.

“When you have the ability to get more and more data, the natural
inclination is to get as much as possible,” said Representative Henry
Waxman, the former chairman of the House oversight committee.

Those of us who have seen the show “Hoarders” know that more is not always
better, and “as much as possible” is sometimes covering up a pile of dead
cats. After all, the government didn’t fail to stop the attack on the World
Trade Center because of a lack of data. It had lots of information about Al
Qaeda and its plan to stage an attack on America. The problem was with