[Vision2020] SWAT team throws flashbangs, raids wrong home due to open WiFi network

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 31 15:09:14 PDT 2013

I thought I'd post some of these SWAT-overuse stories as I run into them.  I really think the militarization of the police is a bad idea.  I'm not against SWAT teams per se, I just don't want them used for trivial things.  There are way too many chances for things to go horribly wrong when you bust down a door and storm in armed to the teeth with a "shock and awe" approach.  That's great for hostage situations, but is overkill for most anything else.

SWAT team throws flashbangs, raids wrong home due to open WiFi network
Whoops! Those anonymous Internet threats came from up the block.

Read more here:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/06/swat-team-throws-flashbangs-raids-wrong-home-due-to-open-wifi-network/

Paul