[Vision2020] I want to murder ants

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 14:30:43 PDT 2013

How sad...

I immediately recalled the following interview when I read your subject
heading...

Here's professional help for your emotional distress from one of the
planet's foremost biologists and ant experts, Pulitzer Prize winning
Harvard professor and author of "Biophilia," E. O, Wilson.

>From an August 2007 C-Span "In Depth" interview, 3 hours long, E. O Wilson
was asked* "What to do about the ants in the kitchen?"* at the 2:59:30 mark
at the very end of the interview... His answer?   To read his whole
response, it is available here:

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/198600-1

A few approximate excerpts:

*"Watch where you step... be careful of little lives... feed peanut butter
and tuna, drops of honey, which they particularly enjoy... get a magnifying
glass... get down on hands and knees... see behavior of social creatures as
close as we may ever get to what might exist on another planet..."*

I recommend this entire interview to all...

About the book "Biophilia:"

http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674074422

*Biophilia* is *Edward O. Wilson*’s most personal book, an evocation of his
own response to nature and an eloquent statement of the conservation ethic.
Wilson argues that our natural affinity for life—biophilia—is the very
essence of our humanity and binds us to all other living things.

More on E. O. Wilson:

Pulitzer Prize-winning author and biologist Edward O. Wilson talked about
his life and work.

Mr. Wilson, who has taught at Harvard University since the mid-1950s and is
currently university research professor there, was named one of America’s
25 most influential people by *Time* magazine in 1996. His books include:
Sociobiology: The New Synthesis] (1975); *On Human Nature* (1978, awarded
Pulitzer Prize); *The Ants* (1990, awarded Pulitzer Prize); *The Diversity
of Life* (1992); *Consilience: The Unity of Knowledge* (1998); *The
Creation: An Appeal to Save Life on Earth* (2006); and *Nature Revealed:
Selected Writings 1949-2006* (2006).

Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett

with extreme prejudice.  I'm loath to use Raid, due to toxicity, smell, and