[Vision2020] Should he have stayed in his truck?

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 22 16:35:49 PDT 2013

I don't know what 13- and 14-year-olds deserve.  I'll have to think about this for a while. I was just responding to Tom's inferences that these kids were getting the short end of the stick while Zimmerman, because people think of him as white I guess, got a waived sentence.  So I was curious what lesser sentences they deserved.

I don't believe that there is any one age where a child magically becomes an adult.  It's a continuum.  I would also be very surprised if I found out that a adults brain crystallizes at a set age and never changes after that.  Anything beyond that I'll have to think about a bit.

Oh, I'm not a neuroscience denier, by the way.  I'm sure that a teenagers brain is different than a middle-aged man's brain.  I just don't know what you want me to do with that information.  How should I change my current tactics of treating 17-year-olds as adults when I meet them?  What should I do differently, knowing that their brain functioning is not fully developed in the regions that govern impulse control?  Should we as a society not punish teenagers for doing things we are sure they understand are wrong?

Paul