[Vision2020] Add this name to the protest

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl1.fastmail.fm
Tue Jul 16 23:40:34 PDT 2013

I agree that this is another example of the unjust unpunished killing of a
child, and I agree that Gibbs' comment was beyond the pale.  I remember my
jaw dropping when I heard that, in much the same way that my jaw dropped
when Zimmerman was given a free pass for killing Trayvon Martin.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Abdulrahman's killing already
been protested here in Moscow?  I wouldn't swear to it, but I'm pretty sure
I've heard his name mentioned, or it seen on a sign, at more than one of the
Friday Peace Vigils in Friendship Square by those stalwart Palouse Peace
Coalition angels, or maybe it was at Farmer's Market?  I wish I could say
that I've been a regular participant at those vigils, but I haven't been -
my anemic "participation" since the early days has been limited to "stopping
by" when I've been downtown  L

But, as long as we're adding names, let's not forget the name of another
Florida child -- this one only 14-years-old -- whose death was also unjust
and went unpunished:  Martin Lee Anderson
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Anderson_case> .  Frankly, I don't know
that it gets much more unjust than when someone - adult or child - in
government custody is killed as a direct result of action - or inaction - by
the authorities.  Sadly, there doesn't seem to be any shortage of that  L

For those holding out some hope the DOJ will provide some justice for
Trayvon's killing on a violation of civil rights basis, I wish I could share
your optimism:

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2010/April/10-crt-428.html

Saundra Lund

Moscow, ID

Compassion is the basis of all morality.

~ Arthur Schopenhuaer