[Vision2020] Arguments For Requiring An IQ Test For Candidates

Art Deco art.deco.studios at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 04:50:08 PDT 2013

  [image: The New York Times] <http://www.nytimes.com/>

------------------------------
July 3, 2013
Fourth of July Quiz By GAIL
COLLINS<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/opinion/editorialsandoped/oped/columnists/gailcollins/index.html>

Happy Independence Day, everybody! Halfway through 2013! Now President
Obama only has 3.5 more years of his second term. If you think that sounds
like a long time, imagine how it must feel to Barack Obama.

Take this quiz to see how much you’ve been paying attention to the
political news over the last six months. Warning: There is one trick
question. What can I tell you? Having independence doesn’t mean life is
always fair.

1. Just before leaving town for its holiday break, the House of
Representatives finished up work on:

a) The farm bill.

b) Fixing the Voting Rights Act.

c) Naming a Mississippi River bridge after Stan Musial.

*****

2. Supreme Court Justice Elena Kagan recently revealed an achievement that
Justice Antonin Scalia said “she could have done in my driveway.” It was:

a) Writing a decision on property owners’ right to road access.

b) Learning to parallel park.

c) Killing a deer.

*****

3. Asked by reporters about the chances of passing immigration reform,
House Speaker John Boehner said:

a) “Absolutely. I’m getting tired of your negativity.”

b) “The House will work its will. Don’t ask me how, because if I knew I’d
certainly tell you, but the House is going to work its will.”

c) “Hahahahaha”

*****

4. Representative Michele Bachmann made news when she announced she would
not run for re-election. Which of the following was *not* among her career
highlights:

a) Mixed up actor John Wayne with serial killer John Wayne Gacy.

b) Said the first shots of the Revolutionary War were fired in New
Hampshire.

c) Said that a nonseasonal blizzard in Minnesota was God’s warning to
politicians to reduce the size of government.

*****

5. The House recently passed a ban on abortions after the 20th week of a
pregnancy. In a committee meeting, Representative Michael Burgess, a
Republican of Texas, supported the bill by claiming:

a) A 15-week-old fetus can masturbate.

b) Pregnant women have to be protected from their hormone-induced bad
judgment.

c) The Republican majority’s work expanding health care, nutrition and
education for poor children makes abortion unnecessary.

*****

6. Mississippi has a new law:

a) Banning localities from requiring restaurants to post calorie counts on
menus.

b) Establishing the nation’s first “Take Your Weapon to Work Day.”

c) Renaming a large parking facility in Biloxi the Trent Lott Lot.

*****

7. In New York, a Democratic state senator was indicted on charges of
trying to bribe political officials into putting him on the ballot for
mayor. Prosecutors said he was aided by:

a) Agents of the Canadian government.

b) A leader of a tribe of Theodish pagans.

c) An undercover investigator disguised as Michael Bloomberg.

*****

8. Which of the following is *not* true about the Republican candidate for
lieutenant governor in Virginia?

a) Believes yoga is an invitation to Satanic possession.

b) Drank 14 Big Gulps in an hour to demonstrate his opposition to
government restrictions on sugary drinks.

c) Said pro-gay rights liberals have done “more to kill black folks” than
slavery or the Ku Klux Klan.

*****

9. Anthony Weiner’s campaign for New York City mayor made news on its
opening week when its Web site:

a) Included Weiner’s 100-point plan for a better New York.

b) Accidentally posted a staffer’s memo on “Successful American Politicians
Who Did Stuff Way Worse Than the Texting Thing.”

c) Featured a picture of the New York skyline that was actually Pittsburgh.

*****

10. Jeb Bush, the former Florida governor and possible 2016 presidential
candidate, recently urged Congress to pass immigration reform because
immigrants are:

a) More patriotic.

b) More fertile.

c) More likely to vote Republican.

*****

11. Who recently said: “Everybody tells me: ‘Please run for President?’ ”

a) Hillary Clinton.

b) Donald Trump.

c) Mitt Romney after a Romney family reunion.

ANSWERS: 1-C, 2-C, 3-B, 4-C (Bachmann said *Hurricane Irene* was God’s
warning to politicians to reduce the size of government), 5-A, 6-A, 7-B,
8-B, 9-C, 10-B, 11-B.

--
Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
art.deco.studios at gmail.com