[Vision2020] Meet the Champs

Art Deco art.deco.studios at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 03:52:33 PST 2013

  [image: The New York Times] <http://www.nytimes.com/>

------------------------------
January 30, 2013
Meet the Champs By NICHOLAS D.
KRISTOF<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/opinion/editorialsandoped/oped/columnists/nicholasdkristof/index.html>

You see America and its education system in all their glorious,
exhilarating, crushing, infuriating contradictions in our national high
school chess champion team.

Chess tends to be the domain of privileged schools whose star players have
had their own personal chess coaches since elementary school. Yet the
national champion team comes from a high-poverty, inner-city school, and
four-fifths of its members are black or Hispanic.

More astounding, these aren’t even high school kids yet. In April, New
York’s Intermediate School 318 <http://www.is318.com/> in Brooklyn, where
70 percent of students qualify for free or reduced-price lunches, became
the first middle school team
ever<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/18/nyregion/at-brooklyns-is-318-the-cool-kids-are-the-chess-champs.html>to
defeat kids about four years older and win the national high school
championship.

The champs are kids like Carlos Tapia, a Mexican-American in the eighth
grade, whose dad is a house painter and mom a maid. The parents can’t play
chess and can’t afford to give Carlos his own room, but they proudly make
space for his 18 chess trophies.

“Chess teaches me self-control” that spills over into other schoolwork,
Carlos said in the I.S. 318 chess room, as a rainbow of students hunched
over their boards, brows furrowed.

This will be my last column for a number of months, as I’m taking a leave
to work on a new book with my wife. So I asked my
Twitter<https://twitter.com/NickKristof>followers what they’d like me
to write about in this column, and one
suggested I address: *How do you do your job without getting incredibly
depressed?*

I promise, I’m not the Eeyore of journalists. The truth is that covering
inequality, injustice and poverty can actually be inspiring and uplifting
because of kids like Carlos. Just sprinkle opportunity around, and dazzling
talents turn up.

This isn’t about chess. It’s about investing in kids in ways that transform
their trajectories forever. The returns on capital would make Wall Street
jealous.

Take Rochelle Ballantyne, who was raised by a single mom from Trinidad and
soared on the I.S. 318 chess team. Rochelle, now 17 and aiming to become
the first African-American woman to become a chess master, has won a full
scholarship to Stanford University. She’s planning to attend even though
she has never visited the campus.

“We were meant to break stereotypes,” Rochelle told me. “Chess isn’t
something people are good at because of the color of their skin. We just
really work very hard at it.”

That seems to be the secret. A part-time chess tutor named Elizabeth
Spiegel arrived at I.S. 318 in 1999 and parlayed a tiny budget into a team
that drills tirelessly. A dynamic, passionate teacher who volunteered much
of her time, she nurtured a team that since 2000 has won more middle school
championships than any other in the country.

One way of assessing what she has accomplished: Based on estimated chess
ratings, Albert Einstein would rank third on the I.S. 318 team.

I wish the column could end on this triumphant note. But if these
extraordinary kids are a reminder of what can happen when we invest in
creating opportunity, they are also a reminder that budget cuts fall
disproportionately on the needy.

“Funding for extracurricular activities has dried up,” said John Galvin, an
assistant principal who oversees the 95-member chess team. The kids run
bake sales, candy sales and walkathons to raise the $50,000 needed to
attend tournaments each year, but on trips they sometimes survive on peanut
butter.

Galvin has tried approaching corporations and hedge funds for donations but
has had little luck. Budget cuts have already trimmed the after-school
chess club to three days a week from five.

A moving documentary about the team, “Brooklyn
Castle<http://www.brooklyncastle.com/>,”
is scheduled to air on PBS later this year, and that may help with
fund-raising.

But similar cutbacks are playing out all across America. In 35 states,
inflation-adjusted school financing is below 2008 levels, according to the
Center on Budget and Policy
Priorities<http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=3825>.
As of July, school districts have slashed 328,000 jobs since 2008, and
budget cuts have devastated early childhood education that lays the
foundation for children’s lives.

Affluent kids continue to enjoy nursery school and chess tutors, even as
programs for poor kids are eliminated. Education is the best escalator out
of poverty, but for too many kids it’s creaking to a standstill.

As we make historic fiscal decisions in the coming months, let’s not
balance budgets by slashing investments in our future. That would be like
economizing on heating bills by feeding the front door into the fire.

While on leave, I’ll be rooting for kids like Carlos to soar to another
national championship — and far beyond. Given the returns, the question
isn’t whether we can afford to invest in opportunities for kids but how we
can possibly afford not to.

--
Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
art.deco.studios at gmail.com