[Vision2020] Hmmm . . .

Ron Force rforce2003 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 24 12:41:04 PST 2013

Not a surprising reaction from some points of view. Dan Kahan, professor at the Yale Law School studies risk perception. In a paper in 2007, he wrote:

In the United States, guns enable largely hierarchical roles such as father, protector, and provider, and symbolise hierarchical virtues such as honour and courage. Within hierarchical ways of life, moreover, these are roles and virtues distinctive of men, not women, who again occupy roles that don't feature gun use. These roles and virtues are also largely associated with being a white male, in large part because of the historical association of guns with maintenance of racial hierarchy in the South. On this account, then, we should expect white hierarchical males to be much more invested in gun possession, and thus to be impelled much more forcefully by identity-protective cognition to resist the claim that guns are dangerous and that gun ownership should be restricted. And this is again exactly what we did find in our national study.

Opening the direct combat role to women threatens the self-perception of males who base their identity on hierarchical roles.

Ron Force
Moscow Idaho USA