[Vision2020] Assault Weapons and Moscow's Admin Committee

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Jan 15 07:20:55 PST 2013

Courtesy of today's (January 15, 2013) Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

-------------------------------------

Administrative Committee
Councilor Wayne Krauss said he agreed with almost every detail of a memorandum drafted by Police Chief David Duke for the council to consider forwarding to a legislative committee that outlines recommendations to reduce gun violence, except for a bullet point on assault weapons.
Duke drafted the recommendations at the city administration's request following the December school shooting in Newtown, Conn., and subsequent gun violence. The intent is to submit it to the Idaho State Judiciary Rules Committee in Boise to serve as the city's opinion should the Legislature examine state gun rights this session.
Much of the memorandum details who should be prevented from possessing firearms, which includes the mentally ill and those arrested for violent crimes, but Krauss said he took issue with a recommendation calling for reduced access to assault weapons, because there is no definition - state or federal - of what an assault weapon is.
"I agree with 98 percent of what's in the letter," he said. "At this time, I can't support that bullet point."
Duke said, "I still have an issue with the definition, so I understand why he would."
Councilors Sue Scott and Tim Brown said they trusted the police department to handle advocacy of an issue it deals with directly, and Duke said there will be some revisions done with command staff before another draft is presented to council.
-------------------------------------

Just a reminder, Mr. Krauss (how soon you forget) . . .

"Around 6 a.m., three SWAT teams entered the First Presbyterian Church and found the two bodies on the main floor but not in the same room, Duke said. An automatic assault rifle, ammunition and spent shells were found with one of the men, he said."

Members of the Idaho State Police perform an equipment check Sunday as they prepare to end a standoff situation at the First Presbyterian Church in Moscow, Idaho. Law enforcement officers stormed the church Sunday where the gunman hid after shooting three people, including an officer, in an ambush late Saturday, police said. The wounded officer later died.

Courtesy of NBC News at:
http://tinyurl.com/ahzn5es

Seeya on the flip-flop, Moscow, because . . .

"Moscow Cares"
http://www.MoscowCares.com

Tom Hansen
Spokane, Washington

"There's room at the top they are telling you still
But first you must learn how to smile as you kill

- John Lennon