[Vision2020] Surprise from Liberty University (Writer Opinion)

Art Deco art.deco.studios at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 14:17:09 PST 2013

Religion makes you ignorant

Justin Parks

From:  Liberty University Online
14 January 2013, 15:01

We are born with so much potential to learn and fully understand the
universe in which we live according to the scientific principles and
natural phenomena which surround us, yet we are burdened with this ancient
form of indoctrination from such a young age, occupying so much brain
space, limiting knowledge and encouraging dogma. The limitations of
religion are endless with no proof to back up the religious beliefs,
relying on ancient manuscripts and fear mongering to survive.

I entered university as a Christian, but the deeper I studied the more I
doubted my faith until eventually I had to apply logic and reason to this
primitive belief structure I had been indoctrinated into when I was too
young to make an educated rational decision and took everything as fact. I
allowed my mind to be objectively open to everything, which equipped me
with rational tools to make an informed decision about how I fitted into
this world and what I was truly doing here.

After much introspection and vast literature references I came to the
realization that as long as you as an educated primate has a moral compass
and live life to the best of your abilities then condemnation and other
fictitious principles, stereotypes and dogma all go out the window. Even if
it was one day proven that god exists I doubt a good honest person would be
condemned to the fires of hell for being skeptical of stories without basic
facts attached, but rather receive the mercy upon which Christian faith is
based.

How many centuries have people been brainwashed into believing there is a
god? That they must serve god and trust in him and die for him and never
question? They believe that the creator made them and the entire universe
with them in mind. Can you fathom that? How arrogant of these religious
humans to postulate that everything was created with them in mind. An
entire universe created by the magic man in the sky just for them. Any
person questioning these beliefs were murdered, tortured, banished or
imprisoned by the religious indoctrinators who had full control of society
and the lawmakers. This went on for centuries and only in the last 150
years or so have atheists started publically questioning belief and god. I
realize this letter will draw harsh blinkered religious criticism, but
freedom of speech is a right, as is belief and faith and nonbelief, but
these ideas cannot be exempt from questions and validation.

So often the religious person will say prove there is no god trying to
counter the disbelief. If someone has faith in something so extraordinary,
the onus is on them to provide evidence and justification for it. We are
not obliged to provide evidence against or to counter a person’s
extraordinary and unsupported beliefs. The burden of proof lies completely
with the believer.* *

*“Russell's teapot*, sometimes called the *celestial teapot* or *cosmic
teapot*, is an analogy <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analogy> first coined
by the philosopher Bertrand
Russell<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertrand_Russell>(1872–1970) to
illustrate that the philosophic
burden of proof
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophic_burden_of_proof>lies upon a
person making scientifically
unfalsifiable <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falsifiability> claims rather
than shifting the burden of proof to others, specifically in the case of
religion <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion>. Russell wrote that if he
claims that a teapot <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teapot> orbits the Sun
somewhere in space between the Earth and Mars, it is nonsensical for him to
expect others to believe him on the grounds that they cannot prove him
wrong. Russell's teapot is still referred to in discussions concerning
the existence
of God <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existence_of_God>.” (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell's_teapot)

I have read many comments relating to religious articles published on
news24. I see atheists asking for proof and religious people being unable
to provide proof, yet believe conclusively that their god exists and that
he is real without entering into any intelligent debate or brining
scientific proof to the table. Somewhere along the line belief became
distorted facts and taught in our schools alongside science and
mathematics. I cannot for a second understand that valuable school time was
wasted on fairytales and fear mongering. Talk about brainwashing. Howe can
young children who do not have the ability to apply logic or reason to
indoctrination be subjected to it?  Why should our children be burdened
with the dogma of bad, ancient ideas?

Put it this way, if you as an adult was told tomorrow having never heard of
god that god made the earth, the sky, the rivers, the chickens, the worms
and the unicorn to name but a few, that he sent his only son (who was
himself) to the earth and them killed him (himself) to save us from sin
(that he made) what would you say? I am certain that any rational minded
logical human would first ask for proof, because lets face it, this is a
massive claim. What could be bigger than stating an omnipotent omnipresent
invisible deity created everything out of nothing and man out of dust and
rib bones? In fact as I write this it’s beginning to sound like some
Hitchcock novel mixed with the lord of the rings.

Yet millions of people blindly go along with this ancient story written by
semiliterate dessert dwellers centuries ago. Why is this so? What makes
religion void of scrutiny and validation? The religious have no facts at
their disposal yet fully and whole-heartedly believe there is a god.

What is however an indisputable fact is that millions of innocent humans
have died in the name of "manmade" religion? How can it be something good
or divine when it is drenched in more blood than we can begin to imagine
let alone quantify?

Christianity is so full of hypocrisy and oxymoron’s that it has become
totally diluted, there is so many variations it makes you think Coca-Cola
only has two products in comparison. Phrases like pure evil, Immaculate
Conception, black angel, righteous sin, saving souls are all oxymoron by
definition. If you asked your average Christian what the 10 commandments
are they wouldn't know, yet this is one of the corner stones of their
faith. Religion needs to be exposed for what it truly is, made by man for
the control of man. What better way than to control minds than through fear
of eternal damnation and suffering in purgatory.

On a personal note my life has never been fuller and more exciting knowing
that I am in total control of myself. This has been a wonderful journey of
self-discovery and introspection. I don't believe that all my actions are
being watched by a divine creator but rather feel a deep moral ethical
obligation to humanity and myself alike. People need to realize that you
can stand on your own without the crutch of religion you think gives you
strength. Give your own strength some credit for a change. You don’t need
faith or belief to be a good father, brother, friend, member of society and
decent human being. I have my family, friends and career to live for and
nothing to die for.

This is my opinion, however I must stress that an opinion is as valid as a
religious one. If you believe something without facts it falls into the
realm of opinion, speculation and hearsay. To date there is no evidence
supporting the existence of god. Until there is real conclusive evidence it
cannot under any laws of logic be regarded as fact. It distorts our
thinking and makes us ignorant.

We are evolving out of this primitive form of hypocrisy and bigotry into
even higher evolved primates who see themselves as being in total control
and not under the spell/influence of some magic man. These are awesome
times people and many died allowing us the opportunity to expose religion
for the indoctrinated farce it truly is.

--
Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
art.deco.studios at gmail.com