[Vision2020] Another Answer to School Shootings . . .

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 12:49:34 PST 2013

You're still not telling us what you would do instead, Donovan. In the
ideal world, how should things work?

Next question: In the non-ideal world (the one that we all live in), how
would we put into practice something even close to that proposal?

And I'm not wrong about the emergency room issue, or other related issue.
Some folks don't have wages to garnish. Yet they still get sick. Those
costs are then covered by all of us. Some of us pick up the costs for all.
Personally I don't mind that but some folks do. So the old system needed
some change. A better change would be ...?

Your grip is with insurance companies, not Obamacare per se. Any form of
governmental heath care would be equally problematic, given the way
insurance companies operate (examples of which Bob has noted). And if you
look closely it is more of a criticism of Capitalism in general, not just
insurance companies. As a country, we're not ready for that conversation,
so I don't find those criticisms helpful. What do we do about that?

Here is one of my New Year's resolutions: Try to get folks to stop
complaining about the government, as if it weren't a group of human beings
just like you and me. People in general are not evil. We're selfish in some
but not all respects and altruistic motivations will trump selfishness (in
general) provided they are offered in the right way. In the case of
politicians, at least they are TRYING to solve problems. Say what you want
but unless and until you decide to take action and do something better --
or at least attempt to do something different or offer a better solution --
you are not helping. If anything, you make the situation worse. Who in
their right mind would want to run for public office? Trying to solve
problems in an imperfect world where there is disagreement about everything
is just asking for abuse.

We're a democracy. WE have gotten ourselves into this mess, not THEM. They
have their role precisely BECAUSE we gave it to them by electing them. It
is up to US (and by that I mean each of us) to get us out of whatever
problems we face. Joe