[Vision2020] Wayne Krauss

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 17:35:28 PST 2013

Similar points were made by Rose and Art and others but here is my attempt.

It says in the US Constitution that all men are created equal. One might
ask: Why did we need the Emancipation Proclamation? After all, it says in
the US Constitution that all men are created equal.

This strikes me as a similar point to the one that you are making, Darrell,
and where I can certainly celebrate the logic of the point (we shouldn't
need to say "Oh, and these men are equal, too") as well as the celebration
of legal minimalism (the fewer laws, the better). Theory is one thing but
as practice would have it, sometimes we have to be more explicit and
formulate more explicit laws that will get the job done.

Or does Wayne wish to say that the Emancipation Proclamation was just a
waste of time? Of course, he wouldn't want to say that. But that is my
point. Redundancy is not always a bad thing if it achieves the right goals.

By the way, a tip of the hat to Randy Fife for saying that the new law
attempts to seek "compliance" not "punishment." These are difficult issues.
But rights are rights.

Best, Joe

PS I really do like Wayne a lot but if I were advising him, I would steer
him away from broad, philosophical issues.