[Vision2020] Firearms makers vow reverse boycott

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 17:04:17 PST 2013

Paul,

What do you think about this?

Doesn't this impose an undo pressure on politicians? Note: I am not saying
that firearms-makers don't have this right. Of course they do. But
sometimes you've complained about criticisms of, say, Christ Church -- you
said they were a form of political correctness that might silence genuine
debate. People may be intimidated by the fear of being labeled a "bigot" or
a "Nazi." So these are unfair labels, presumably because the prejudice a
person's judgment.

I must admit, I think exactly the opposite in these two cases. Criticisms
of Christ Church or any entity are just that: criticisms; words. People
should be free to criticize anyone as much as they wish, provided they stay
within legal and ethical boundaries.

On the other hand, something seems wrong about firearms-makers putting
pressure on congress. There is no argument here, no reason why the
firearms-makers view is preferred. Other than an unwarranted appeal to the
2nd amendment. Other then that, there is just the fact that firearms-makers
will make profit if their crazy view is accepted. Maybe I haven't put my
finger on it but something has gone wrong here.