[Vision2020] "Is civil marriage for gay couples good for society?"

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Sun Feb 24 16:16:38 PST 2013

These "debates" are rigged affairs put on by the religious right to strengthen the "faith" of their followers, not to enlighten the general public. Fundies will be bussed in from the hinterland to fill the SUB Ballroom.

The title itself of the "debate" is loaded: "Is civil marriage for gay couples good for society?" We all know what Wilson and his ilk think is "good for society."

The format is also rigged. It gives the public the illusion that there are exactly two sides to an issue, each side holding the same weight. And last but not least, the question period is usually short and also rigged. The moderator chooses which questions will be read and answered; we can be certain the Christian has already prepared a great rhetorical response to them.

I think you'll find this web site useful. Wilson is definitely not William Lane Craig, but New Saint Andrews has always been strong on rhetoric, its students have achieved high ratings on national mock courtroom argumentation. So be warned.

Loving Christianity Better Than Truth: The Craig-Price Debate | Tragic Farce

Personally, I'm staying home. I live close enough to the SUB to walk over but I'm staying home. I've already seen Doug in action, I've watched a few "debates" on YouTube, and I feel sure this one will also be loaded onto the net by you know who.

Ralph

Courtesy of today's (February 23, 2013) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with a special thanks to the INKster, Vera White.

Not to be missed. There will be a debate Wednesday between notable author Andrew Sullivan, former editor of The New Republic, and local pastor Doug Wilson. The question to be debated "Is civil marriage for gay couples good for society?"
Collegiate Reformed Fellowship, the student branch of Wilson's Christ Church, is sponsoring the debate.
Brit Peter Hitchens, a conservative Christian author and Orwell Prize winner in political journalism, will be moderating at 7:30 p.m. in the University of Idaho Student Union Ballroom. His elder brother was the late writer and atheist Christopher Hitchens, whom Wilson debated several years ago.