[Vision2020] On the other hand (was: The Trouble With Online College)

Art Deco art.deco.studios at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 10:59:16 PST 2013

While not always the case, for the most part basic microeconomics theory
alleges that it is the price of a product, not necessarily its quality,
that determines its demand (sales/use as a practical measure).  For some
products purchased by large organizations, such as governments and large
corporations, political influence/skullduggery can prevail over price or
quality.

The online environment offers tremendous opportunity for delivery of
quality education to many, though not all, students, on many, though not
all subjects.  It is an area where the public should demand quality;
unfortunately it is an area where political influence will most likely be
strongly wielded with some very results as the article at issue alleges.

Another factor must be considered: individual learning styles.  Not
everyone is going to learn well watching a video (or a live lecture).  some
of us learn faster and better by reading and working through material, and
then using lectures as a supplementary resource for reinforcement or
comprehension of difficult material.  It's a matter of using time
effectively.

I took a course as a graduate student at the University of Minnesota from
one of B. F. Skinners most famous disciples entitled Behavioral Theory.
The text was Skinner's *Analysis of Behavior*, a programmed text.  The
professor at the first lecture advised the students to read the text over a
day or two, then take a test.  Those passing the test were excused from the
first half of the course lectures.  I passed the test easily, the text is a
very well designed programmed learning text, but went to the lectures
anyway since they were lively and informative.  The combination of the text
and lectures have stuck with me and served me well.

On the other hand, I have taken many courses where the lectures were less
than stellar to put it mildly, and for some students diminished or killed
their interest in a subject.

Education is complicated -- unlike prostitutes, one size does not fit all.

w.

--
Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
art.deco.studios at gmail.com