[Vision2020] Legislaative Report

Shirley Ringo ringoshirl at moscow.com
Fri Feb 15 14:01:28 PST 2013

February 15, 2013

This week at the legislature from Shirley Ringo

Idaho Senators failed to confirm Governor Otter's nominee, Joan Hurlock from
Idaho Falls, to the Fish and Game Commission.  The vote was 19 - 16 against
her confirmation.  It is the first time in 39 years that the Senate has
failed to confirm the Governor's nominee to this commission.  There are some
who suggest it was a case of gender bias.  Monty Pearce, chair of the
Resources and Environment Committee suggested that Ms. Hurlock might
withdraw and perhaps be appointed to the Nursing Board rather than the Fish
and Game Commission.  Senator Pearce also expressed concern during the
confirmation process that he might have detected signs of environmentalism
in Ms. Hurlock's attitude.  One issue identified by those with Fish and Game
programs involves avoiding a waning interest in hunting and fishing.  It
would seem that Ms. Hurlock's focus upon programs for children would have
been useful.

Many of the bills we consider here are of the "housekeeping" type - often
there is no opposition.  With the large number of new people in the
legislature this year, I have awaited some of those more controversial bills
to help me understand their leanings on issues.  One of those bills was
considered this week.  It was a bill designed to include pregnancy resource
clinics as exempt from the Idaho State Sales Tax by including them under the
definition of "health related entities" in Idaho Code.  This new definition
states:  "For purposes of this paragraph, "health-related entities" shall
also include any pregnancy resource clinic that is exempt from federal
income taxation pursuant to section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code,
operated under the supervision of a licensed physician and does not perform
the termination of a pregnancy."   House Bill 62 prevailed by a vote of 58 -
12.  The vote was along party lines, except for one Democrat who voted with
the majority.

Prior to the downturn in the economy, Idaho's median wage ranked 43rd
nationally.  Currently, Idaho's median wage ranks last in the nation.
Governor Otter's recommendation is that Idaho public employees receive no
pay increase for the next fiscal year.  In past years, a CEC Committee
(Change in Employee Compensation) met prior to the beginning of the
legislative session to hold hearings on public employee pay and make
recommendations.  This committee has failed to meet for five years to
consider issues related to compensation.  Because of this, Representative
Phylis King (Boise) and I are holding a meeting on February 18 to provide an
opportunity for citizens to speak up about issues related to compensation,
and other issues.  We hope for a good turnout.  The meeting will be in room
42 of the capitol building from 4 PM until 6 PM.  We're hoping for a good
crowd.

Legislation related to setting up an Idaho Insurance Exchange has
successfully been voted out of a Senate Committee.  The legislation, Senate
Bill 1042, will be up for discussion soon on the Senate floor.  Expectations
are that it will pass in the Senate, and will have a close vote in the
House.  A group consisting of sixteen freshman legislators has proposed
accompanying legislation that will increase their comfort level so they can
support the exchange.  This accompanying legislation adds a measure of
oversight and transparency to the process.

Next week, the "gun bills" will probably appear in legislative committees.
Representative Judy Boyle (R-Midvale) is sponsoring two of them.  One, she
states, will strengthen state law enforcement agency ability to resist any
federal attempts to confiscate weapons or ammunition declared illegal under
federal law.  Another would create a new category of concealed weapons
permit that requires more training.  Representative Boyle believes such an
enhanced permit could persuade more school boards to allow people to carry
concealed weapons on their campuses.

The Idaho School Boards Association is pursuing legislation to restore
measures of the defeated Proposition 1.  Teachers were not consulted about
these bills at the formative stages.  After the bills were introduced,
though, teachers were invited to enter discussions.  It has been difficult
because the legislation has been drafted so that measures the teachers might
find tolerable are paired with repugnant measures in the same bill.  For
example, one pairs open negotiations (which teachers can accept) with
allowing the trustees to automatically impose their "last best offer" if a
negotiated settlement is not reached by June 10 (which teachers find
completely unacceptable).

So goes the session . .

I have many messages on such topics as gun control, insurance exchange, and
medical education.  I am always pleased to hear from you, and you can
contact legislators about the issues I have mentioned, or any others.

.