[Vision2020] drones

Art Deco art.deco.studios at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 08:16:30 PST 2013

@Sunil,

You ask:  "What is the evidence that the atrocities you defend are working,
Wayne"

First, I'm not defending all the atrocities.  I believe that many of them
were unnecessary; some were caused by drone use made on mistaken
information, some were caused by misjudgments driven by paranoia and over
zealousness; many should have been undertaken given the probable loss of
innocent lives and the maiming of innocents  That is why we are engaging in
this discussion: to find a much better way.  In the meantime the CIC has a
constitutional duty to plan and implement US security.

Second, whether in the long run the policies that are in place are working
is something I am unable to predict given the complexity of the forces at
work in modern civilization including ideological and ethnic/racial
difference as well as the conflicts that arise in competition for many
resources, some of which are vital but have a limited supply, and then
there is plain old ultra greed which motivates armament makers and
merchants and others with closely allied interests in keeping armed
conflict alive..

There may not be any policy that works in the long run.  I hope there is,
but it is my belief that at present the probability that any given policy
will reduce the world of serious baddies without harming goodies is close
to zero.  But does that mean we should not plan and execute self-defense
polices in the short run?

How do you deal with the North Koreans, now a member of the nuclear club
with extreme hostilities towards the US, and Iran who will be soon a member
of that club also with extreme hostilities toward the US?

Use methods to peacefully overthrow those governments from within?
Hardly.  And even when atrocious governments are overthrown, generally the
new regime is not much better and may be worse.

Are the drone attacks working?

I believe based on media reports that some very bad people have been
eliminated by *some* of the drone attacks, and with that the threat to our
security has been abated at least to some extent in the short run.

There is no doubt that there have been and continues to be horrible
atrocities.

Whether and, if so, whether the policies are working is a matter of
rigorous debate with reasonable people and crackpots taking every side.
Google:  ["war on terror" effectiveness] to see the vast varieties of
opinion.

The problem with any discussion of this issue is that of incomplete
information about the nature of, who is involved and how, and the
seriousness of the threat of terrorism.  Unfortunately no intelligence
agency has very accurate information in this area either.  To make matters
worse, the who and how are always undergoing change.

I am sorry if this is not a comforting answer.  I don't think there is a
comforting answer although I hope there are better ones than we have
generated and implemented to date.

@Joe,

See above.

It is clear however, that peaceful attempts by the US to make the world
more secure have had very mixed results.  The foreign aid program is
probably is most visible example of these mixed results.

While we have pour trillions of aid into non-military foreign aid and there
have been some tangible results, it is obvious that many expenditures over
the have backfired:  Iran, Iraq, Egypt, Pakistan, Ethiopia, etc etc.  We
have used foreign aid to prop up governments whose values are an anathema
to ours and who oppressed, killed, and maimed their citizens.

Even in Europe where we have invested much aid, the feeling towards the US
is far from positive in many countries.  While it is generally true that
being nice begets niceness, it is not always true, and what holds for
transactions between individuals does not necessarily hold true between
nations.  This is not a barb, but even individuals such as yourself
advocating niceness do not always practice it: witness some of your
interactions with Gary Crabtree.

Due to the nature of politics and the drive to be re-elected, being nice to
foreign nations does not emotionally inspire many electors as advocating
harsh measures in the name of national security does.

Paraphrased from Nietzsche:  Help someone, lose a friend or make an enemy.
This is not always true, but sometimes it is.

I cannot believe that being nice to terrorists will make any difference in
their attitude, intentions, and attempted actions toward us.  Please give
evidence that your suggestion has a good chance of working before you would
expose to egregious peril if it doesn't.  At the same time I do not believe
that maiming and killing innocents is not only immoral but
counterproductive.

But if my only choice is between killing and maiming innocents abroad, and
having innocents maimed and killed here, some of which could be my friends,
relative, and loved ones, then ...

I do not agree with the current US policy in total.  I am not a hawk nor a
dove.  I see self-defense as a necessary and practical issue with actions
taken in accordance with the imperfectly known seriousness of the threat.

You may think that this is a nice world, and parts of it are, but human
beings are generally driven by self-interest, and that self-interest can be
used by clever manipulators of all stripes, nations, religions,
philosophies to impose their will on others, not to mention the rearks
above about greed and resources.

w.

--
Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)