[Vision2020] drones

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 06:13:43 PST 2013

I think it is a nice world. Unfortunately some of the people in it are
psychopaths and some of those end up running terrorist organizations.

But most of the folks who join terrorist organizations are not psychopaths.
How many innocent people from the Middle East have died since 9/11? Does
anyone know the number? Such "errors" are a great tool when it comes to
recruitment tool when it comes to building terrorist organizations. That is
the pragmatic reason for being against drone strikes. In the end, it is a
zero sum game: we're creating as many enemies as we're killing off.
Actually, that is an underestimate. We're likely creating more enemies than
we are killing off.

The fact is, very few people respond toward aggression with anything other
than more aggression. That doesn't make them bad, just human. But it does
mean that if you want to stop aggression you should try another approach.