[Vision2020] Hmmm . . .

Art Deco art.deco.studios at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 14:27:13 PST 2013

Wayne Price writes:

"I hope these 3 folks sue the ass of the LAPD."

Yes!  Successful wrongful death/civil rights lawsuits do motivate
meaningful change albeit not everywhere and/or not as much as they should.

But here is a problem.  Few people can afford to initiate and continue such
suits against even small governmental agencies.

Except for the fortunate few where the ACLU bears most of the financial
burden, the cost in money and time for such a suit is horrendous.
Attorneys generally will only take such cases on a contingency basis
charging from 1/3 to 2/3 of the eventual financial settlement for their
time, if one is reached, but not their costs..  The plaintiff is
responsible for all the costs which in many cases will eat further into and
sometimes totally consume all the plaintiff's share of the settlement; in
the worst cases the plaintiff though winning a large settlement will still
be at a loss because their share of the settlement does not cover the total
costs.

Going through a civil trial is a huge, exhausting emotional and time
expense.  Sometimes even a large settlement is seen not to be worth the
result.  The rules of civil procedure allow the process to be subjected to
delays and all sorts frustrating, sometimes unnecessary side trips.

And then there is the problem of getting at the truth.  LE officials tend
to stick together and that often involves egregious perjury.  It also can
involve harassment in various forms of the plaintiff.  Many jurisdictions
have passed regulations/laws that prohibit the interviewing by
investigators of officers involved in shooting incidents from 24 to 72
hours afterward, ostensibly because the stress of incident may distort the
officer's "clear recollection."  In truth, thsee regulations were enacted
to give LE officials time to construct sometimes a mostly perjured version
of what really happened.  The Code of Silence strongly discourages even the
most honest LE officer from objecting and telling the truth.

I hope that suits are initiated; the plaintiffs receive and keep
substantial judgments,  But most of all I hope these suits and public
pressure and outrage bring about meaningful change that greatly lowers the
probability of similar incidents in the future.

w.

--
Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
art.deco.studios at gmail.com