[Vision2020] drones

Art Deco art.deco.studios at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 09:50:28 PST 2013

This is a difficult issue to deal with.

I agree with those that believe that drone attacks should not occur without
meaningful due process except when emergencies occur where timing makes
such a due process review impossible.  However, such a call about such an
emergency is a judgment call and open to error.

Fact:  There are those would seek to destroy, kill, damage, etc our country
and/or its overseas assets including US citizens and close allies.

The main conflicts occur in this issue because most of us believe in the
right of self-defense, personal and national.  The CIC, and in some cases,
the CIC in accordance with congress, is the ultimate authority on the use
of force in self-defense.  The Oath of Office makes the CIC ultimately
responsible of the security of our country.

9/11 forever changed the nature of the parameters of self-defense.  Those
parameters now include seeking out and removing those agents who pose not
only a credible eminent threat but a credible future threat.  It would be a
nicer world if those agents could be removed via an open, effective justice
system.  It's not a nicer world.

Hence, removal is basically done by sequestering w/o real due process or
destruction.  Sequestering is not always  possible or practical.  Hence,
destruction is an option, and, I believe based on the conduct of several
groups of terrorists and their supporters, a necessary one.  This is not a
nice world.

Given that, what methods of destruction can or should be used.

Drones are one of those methods.  They minimize the loss of American and/or
American allies lives and also expenditures.

The downside is that they can kill innocent people whether by lack of
oversight, incorrect intelligence information, or the judgment made that
the loss of innocent lives justifies the destruction of agents/facilities
in particular cases.

The trade-off is American lives/security against that of terrorists and
innocents.  It's not a nice world

Joe will appreciate this:  This kind of trade-off has been a philosophical
issue for some time.  A criticism of Utilitarianism is that if everyone's
happiness could be maximized if only one randomly chosen person would be
subjected to an ongoing ordeal of extreme punishment and torture, we should
not give such a consent.

Obviously, there is vast disagreement on whether or not such consent should
be given.  Unfortunately, like many ethical disputes, there is no argument
on either side which is definitive; only some are more persuasive than
others to any given person.

Never-the-less, it is important to raise and to rigorously and
intelligently discuss this issue.  Perhaps we can find a way to neutralize
more baddies at he cost of less innocents.  Let us hope and work toward
that goal.  It's not a nice world.  People are trying to harm, maim. or
kill you.

My own opinion is that drone strikes are sometimes leads to the least harm
vs. a much greater harm, and hence, we ought not disallow them.  However,
their use ought be very carefully weighed, and due process applied on a
case by case basis within in carefully thought out parameters.  The problem
is that given the state of our knowledge at any given time and possible
risks involved by non-action, this might not always be possible.

I certainly do not expect agreement with this, but given the above I hope
that it generates discussions and actions which results eventually in a
nicer world.

w.

--
Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)