[Vision2020] drones

Sunil Ramalingam sunilramalingam at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 11 06:10:52 PST 2013

I agree with you. There isn't any authority to pursue this and yet people just accept it. I was debating this with a high school classmate who is very far right. There are no domestic policies where he will support Obama, or believe a word he says. But he's behind this policy. He doesn't need proof, he says just go kiill them.

Democrats have sanctioned this since Obama took power, and now it's a bipartisan policy. Makes it clear that many protests while Bush was President were political, not rooted in principle. And the only Republican running for president who opposed this was Ron Paul, who was marginalized for his domestic policies. There was no real analysis of what he was saying about foreign policy, where we could have had an important discussion about the issue.

Underlying all this are a number of things. First, people keep saying 'We're at war,' but they don't say that it's a war that apparently will go on forever. Will these powers ever be restrained? Not if the executive wants to hang on to the power, and the People refuse to challenge him on this. Second, shouldn't we be asking 'Why do we have bases around the world? Is this an Empire? Why do we have one? What does it cost us? What else could we be doing with that money?'

Sunil