[Vision2020] drones

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 10 13:45:01 PST 2013

Now that we seem to be done chortling over local people protesting
something peacefully, I thought maybe we could talk about the whole
drone program.

First of all, I can't get past the lack of due process.  There are no
trials, not even the kind of for-show trials you'd expect to see in
third-world tinpot dictatorships.  We are not at war with any of the
countries in which we have been killing these people in.  There are no
attempts I've seen to work with Yemen and Pakistan to bring these people
in for trial.  According to a Stanford law professor I was listening to
on NPR a little while ago, our President signs off on all the drone
strikes of specific individuals, which account for about 2% of the drone
strikes that happen.  The other 98% are people that they can't identify
that appear to be terrorists doing whatever it is that terrorists do.
There are whole communities in NW Pakistan that have drones flying
overhead and nobody knows what sorts of behavior their remote pilots are
looking for in order to strike, causing them to keep their kids at home
and has led to PTSD amongst their populace.  We are in effect
terrorizing those communities ourselves.

This whole program is just simply wrong on so many levels I can't even
believe we as a country would entertain such an idea.  Oh, yeah, this
"oversight" came about only because they thought that Romney was about
to become President.  Talk about looking ahead.

As for drone technology itself, I'd rather see the use of drones for
precision strikes rather than having to put boots on the ground, but
only in times where we can actually legally put boots on the ground and
give our troops that kind of assignment.

I think we're running into what I think of as the taser problem. Tasers
were supposed to be a non-lethal weapon that would be used when all
other choices were exhausted.  Instead of replacing the need for a cop
to shoot someone, they replaced the need for a cop to whack someone on
the head with their night stick.  This is the same thing.  They are so
easy, no one we apparently think of as human dies, and the drone
operators can turn their consoles off at the end of their shift and go
have a nice dinner at the Olive Garden.

Any thoughts?

Paul