[Vision2020] Transformer load topples at I-205

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Dec 18 09:51:39 PST 2013

With thanks to Ellen, a friend and anti-megaload voice.

Courtesy of KOIN.com (Portland, Oregon) at:

(with video)
http://www.koin.com/news/clackamas-county/transformer-closes-i-205-ramps

---------------------------------

Transformer load topples at I-205
Stuck transformer closed I-205 ramps for hours

GLADSTONE, Ore. (KOIN) – A massive transformer that was being transported overnight Monday became stuck in Gladstone, blocking access to a busy freeway.

The 660,000-pound transformer came to rest on SE 82nd Drive, blocking the northbound on and off ramps to Interstate 205.

"If it would have kept going," said a witness, "it would have been disastrous."

The transformer began its move at 11 p.m. Monday night, said Oregon Department of Transportation spokesman Don Hamilton. But it wasn't until nearly a full day later that the last of the load was back on the road.

"It is a surprise," said Terry M. Emmert, senior vice president with Emmert International at the scene. "We don't know what caused the failure yet, but we're here to get it fixed and keep this transformer moving to its next destination."

The transformer was making a 4-and-a-half-mile trip from Oregon City to a rail yard in Clackamas. This is the first of three transformers set to make the overnight trip.

However, on this first trip the Emmert International truck transporting the transformer had problems making a turn when a rear axle pin broke. As the axle started to steer away from the load, the wheels tilted up. The transformer itself, suspended on the transport, never hit the ground.

When an axle pin breaks, "what happens is the steering stays in the direction it's pointed, so it made it about three feet further before we stopped it," Emmert said.

ODOT reports crews had to bring in a crane to move it, loading the equivalent of eight fully-loaded semi trucks. Nearby I-205 ramps were closed through Tuesday afternoon; the transformer was finally moved from 82nd Drive around 5 p.m.

Emmert is no stranger to large transport. The Clackamas, Ore., transport company is the one that brought the Spruce Goose to Oregon.

On the next transformer trip, Emmert said, "we'll make sure those pins are safe to be utilitized. But that's really the only thing that could go wrong. And unfortunately it happened today."

A massive transformer that was being transported overnight Monday is stuck in Gladstone, blocking access to a busy freeway. KOIN's Lisa Balick reporting.

"Moscow Cares"
http://www.MoscowCares.com

"There's room at the top they are telling you still
But first you must learn how to smile as you kill

- John Lennon