[Vision2020] Oops, I almost forgot . . .

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Fri Dec 13 13:35:54 PST 2013

On 12/13/2013 12:18 PM, Janesta wrote:
> Good News!
>
> The days start getting longer!!!

I'm sorry to have to be the bearer of the news to you, but days do not
get longer.  The length of days is constant, for all practical purposes.

It is true that after the winter solstice the duration of time between
sunrise and sunset each day does increase, resulting in more minutes of
light from the Sun to the Earth at a particular latitude each day, until
the following summer solstice.  However, the duration of time necessary
for the planet to rotate on its axis is unchanged -- the Earth does not
spin faster in the winter and slower in the summer.  So, the duration of
the day is constant, but the number of light-minutes varies daily
between solstices.

Here ends your nitpick for the day.

Ken