[Vision2020] Hindu Gods and Goddesses Resumes Wed Eve/Thursday PM

Nicholas Gier ngier006 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 10:26:42 PST 2013

Greetings:

"Vishnu and His Incarnations" (Dec. 11/112) and "The Hindu Goddess" (Dec.
18/19) will resume at two venues:

Wednesday evenings at 509 Taylor Ave. 7-9 PM and Thursday Afternoons at 909
Travois Way #16 2-4.

Please call 301-1278 for directions.

Come to both, one, or none.  They are sufficient contained slide lectures.

Nick

*Hindu Gods and Goddesses: An Exploration of the Hindu Religion with Slides
from Hindu Art*

                For 30 years I taught Asian philosophy at the University of
Idaho, but it was not until my first sabbatical to India in 1992 did I
discover the richness and complexity of Indian culture and its amazing
religions.  After two sabbaticals, a research leave, and a recent 6-week
temple and lecture tour—a total of over a year in this amazing country—I
now have a huge photographic record of my adventures.

            I visited the fabulous Hindu temples of Tamil Nadu and other
states; I marveled at the Jain temples in Gujurat and Rajsathan—one
mountain top, after climbing up 10,000 carefully carved steps, I stood in
awe of 762 marble temples standing cheek to jowl.  I visited the Buddhist
cave temples at Ajunta and the 35 Hindu, Buddhist, and Jain cave temples at
Ellora 60 miles away.  In 1999 I took eight students to Kathmandu, Nepal,
which is the very best place in the world to study both Hinduism and
Buddhism.  There are at least a hundred major temples and monasteries there.

For this UUCP Adult RE course I have gathered my best images of Hindu gods
and goddesses, ranging from world class bronze statues and bas reliefs to
ordinary calendar art, which even prosperous Hindus use for their home
shrines.