[Vision2020] Are You Smart Enough to Be a Citizen?

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Sat Dec 7 13:39:14 PST 2013

On 12/7/2013 12:38 PM, Robert Dickow wrote:

> Well, this "take-a-test to keep one's citizenship" idea sounds like
> Big Government, and would be expensive to enforce and administer. Why
> not just grant citizenship only to landowners, and give them votes
> based on acres owned?

So, are you ready to allow these guys to elect the stand-ins for our
actual overseers?

http://www.businessinsider.com/biggest-private-landowners-2013-10?op=1

> Sound like a plan, or what?

Are you ready to hire Jane Fonda as an election lobbyist to have a chat
with her ex Ted Turner?

> Think about the exam every 10 years thing. Imagine walking up to the
> voting booth only to discover that your citizenship had run out 3
> minutes ago?

Citizenship is one thing.  Education levels are another.  Suppose the
income tax rates are bumped up a notch or two, with a concomitant offer
that if you pass a set of comprehensive high school subject
examinations, your taxes will be reduced on some sliding scale -- the
more exams passed, the more your taxes go down.

> Statistical odds would suggest that such anomalies would occur at a
> significant rate. So much for the thought experiment.

I expect that the rate of homework completion and educational
accomplishment would increase noticeably after attaching a reduced tax
bill to an increased educational accomplishment level.

Ken