[Vision2020] FW: Standardized Testing

Sue Hovey suehovey at moscow.com
Mon Aug 19 17:12:00 PDT 2013

Actually, I do not intend it as a slam on public education. I mean it as a statement regarding the limitations and dangers of current testing practices.  The folks who set standards and the accompanying  education measurements need to understand fully  that high stakes testing determines not only what is taught but what is left out.  Examples:  Common Core Standards  emphasize math and literacy.  STEM  standards completely ignore the arts.  I see the State Board is looking at an increase in Physical Education, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but with finite time and resources every mandate means something else gets left out. In public education we need to broaden the  vision concerning what students need to know and that isn’t something we do with our enphasis on the current high-stakes, standardized tests.  And when we use those tests as the gatekeeper criterion of whether a teacher gets a pay raise, or whether a school is defined as successful, we further ensure the majority of the educational day will be spent on rote learning.

When we consider testing goals, the primary reason should be  that testing students will tell the teacher what needs to be retaught (formative evaluation)  and the teacher needs to have the skills to determine alternative pathways for that reteaching.   Other testing goals should never supersede this one.