[Vision2020] FW: The Giant Coffee Table Touchscreen Computer

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 17 15:46:28 PDT 2013

I hate many of the changes that were made in Windows 8.  Let's move
random things around so the money we sunk into training for Windows 7
can be kissed goodbye.  Every time I try to do something that was more
or less simple in Windows 7 I end up googling how you're supposed to do
it in Windows 8.  Don't get me started about the whole hibernate instead
of shutting down thing.

The coffee table computer is probably the perfect place for Windows 8
and it's new metro interface, though.  It's big and flashy, there can be
a lot going on and you can see all of it.  It has a touch screen, so the
huge boxes make sense.  You probably aren't going to do more than one
thing on it at a time, unless you use their admittedly cool multiple
user thing.  And you're not expected to do any actual work on it which
requires lots of input for which a keyboard or mouse would be advantageous.

Using it on a laptop without a touchscreen or a desktop computer is
where it doesn't make any sense.  I don't know what idiot it was that
thought that using the same interface on your PC, your XBox, your phone,
your tablet, and your coffee table was a good idea.  And whichever
mid-level manager came up with the idea that it should be permanent and
not optional should be fired.  From a canon.  Into the sun.  Yes, I
stole that from Futurama ;)

That's why I like Linux and open source software.  In Linux, the desktop
environment is separated from the rest of the OS.  You can switch them
out on a whim and suffer no problems.  Try KDE or Gnome if you want
flashy, try Unity if you want to emulate Windows 8 and the iPad, try
XFCE if you just want something lightweight that won't get in your way.
It's great for control freaks like me.  Windows makes me feel like I'm a
faceless drone in a megacorp somewhere.

Paul