[Vision2020] [corrected] It's Time for an Honest Conversation About Marijuana . . .

Scott Dredge scooterd408 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 14 23:18:50 PDT 2013

She and her mother were each offered plea deals for 2 year sentences and
 they declined this.  Instead they entered blind pleas gambling that the
 judge would be lenient based on no previously felony convictions and
and the small amount of dope they were dealing.  If they had gotten a
male judge, perhaps like myself he would have been smitten by her good
looks and would have let her go with a simple warning + a stern finger
wagging telling her not to do this same sort of thing again.  Worst
case, the slime dog judge - my alter ego if you will - also might
have asked her out to dinner.

But as fate would have it, they got
 a female judge who wasn't too keen on them dealing dope in front of
children and instead she gave Patricia Spottedcrow a 12 years sentence
which was a sentence that the judge herself considered as 'lenient'
given all the circumstances that she had evaluated.  She gave
Spottedcrow's mom a 30 years suspended sentence with no jail time.

Considering
 that ultimately Patricia Spottedcrow served 2 years behind bars and her
 mom served zero, they did even better than original plea deal they
declined that was for 2 years incarceration for each of them.  This
could be considered a silver lining for anyone who might think of
themself as being an 'optimist' who sees things as the 'jail half empty'
instead of  the 'jail unnecessarily full'.

The presumed downside is that she
now has a felony conviction and supposedly won't be able to find employment,
housing, or be able to get loans.  Just as an aside - and GOD FORBID
that anyone (especially Tom Hansen who posted this in the first
place) ever bothered to scratch the surface and get any EFFING DETAILS
surrounding this whole sad and sorry situation - they would have learnt
that prior to her arrest, she was 'unemployed and did not have a stable
residence at the time of her
arrest, the report states. The family lost their Oklahoma City home for
not paying bills, the report states.'

Thus, prior to her arrest
and without a felony record, she was uneducated, unemployed,  flat
broke, and homeless with 4 kids when she turned to dealing drugs in
front of her kids as a way to make IN HER OWN WORDS 'easy money'.  And
now due to incarceration, she has earned a GED, attended parenting
classes, and attended AA meetings which is probably a good thing
considering that when she was booked, after her sentence was handed down,
marijuana was found in her jacket resulting in a subsequent additional
guilty plea from her and an additional 2 year concurrent sentence.  Hellooooo!!!!!!  When you get caught dealing dope, would it bother to cross your mind that it might be yet another BAD CHOICE to be carrying any more bags of dope on your person at your sentencing & booking such that you don't get additional criminal charges filed against you that you have zero defense to rebuff???  Do you think that might not look so good in the future in front of parole boards who are looking for some inkling of remorse and some small signs that you're not going to re-offend on the exact same crimes???

If
 you ask me, this should be considered a 'feel good' story along the
lines of a phoenix rising from the ashes, someone getting a second
chance at doing right for themselves and their kids, the criminal
justice system succeeding at rehabilitating and admitted felon, ...

But
 no one is asking and they wouldn't listen to anything I have to say
because they're all just deafened by sound bites of 'racial injustice'
and '$31 bags of marijuana'.  Knock yourselves out.

FWIW - I hope she and all of her kids are proven to be spectacularly productive members of society or in the alternative that they are all happy, healthy, and stay out of any further legal trouble.