[Vision2020] Moscow Mayor Chaney to run for re-election

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Sat Aug 3 02:22:12 PDT 2013

Courtesy of today's (August 3, 2013) Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

--------------------------------------
Moscow Mayor Chaney to run for re-election
Moscow Mayor Nancy Chaney announced her intent Friday to seek a third term in office ahead of the start of candidate filing later this month.
"I love the work I'm doing," Chaney said. "I find it interesting and worthwhile every day. That was never in question at all. I'm looking forward to moving along on the momentum I've gained in my tenure."
The Moscow mayor said she never intended not to run for re-election, but there had been a period of time where she was communicating with City Councilor Tom Lamar about his interest in running for the position.
"I decided it's not a good time for me to add more things in my life, basically," Lamar said. "Dealing with a divorce and those kinds of things, those personal things, makes me not want to add additional responsibilities at this time by being mayor."
Lamar said his work as executive director of the Palouse-Clearwater Environmental Institute has been growing along with the nonprofit, and he didn't want to try to split those responsibilities if he were elected mayor.
"He's a smart and capable person who shares a lot of the values that I do," said Chaney. "He will make a fine mayor some day."
Lamar said he will continue to support Chaney in her next bid for office.
"I think she actually wanted to do it. I think she was just checking and making sure it was the right thing for her to do," he said, "and I think it's a great thing for her to keep running for mayor."
Former Moscow Councilor Bill Lambert announced his intent to run back in early July, and said he looks forward to a good challenge from Chaney and whoever else might enter the race when candidate filing starts Aug. 26 and runs until Sept. 6.
"It didn't make any difference to me who decided to run, whether it was Nancy or somebody else," Lambert said. "You never know - there could be somebody else putting their hat in the ring."
Chaney said she wants to stay on as mayor to continue city projects and goals, such as bringing in mixed-use development in the Legacy Crossing Urban Renewal District and improving and promoting local food production.
With the Idaho Transportation Department's plan to reroute U.S. Highway 95 south of town and expansion in the Port of Lewiston, Chaney said she is concerned what may happen to downtown Moscow should commercial traffic increase.
Lambert, who started out serving on the Moscow Planning and Zoning Commission before his past election to City Council, said he feels he has good credentials for the job. He currently serves as chairman of the city's board of adjustments.
"I have a pretty good idea what goes on in the city and what works for us," he said. "I want to see this city grow in what we're trying to achieve here."
Mayor Nancy Chaney

Vote like tomorrow matters . . . because it does.  Vote Chaney-Lamar.

http://www.MoscowCares.com

"There's room at the top they are telling you still
But first you must learn how to smile as you kill

- John Lennon